Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cenise Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Credit card debt and income tax refund
    My credit cards are in collection. And currently my job pay check is now being garnished. Can any collection agency or credit card company, take or hold on to my tax check?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Hello cenise:

Nope. Only the government can seize your refund. Make sure that it isn't direct deposited, though. Otherwise, they'll get it.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2007, 07:16 AM
    As excon pointed out only govt agencies can intercept your refund. However, if you deposit it in a bank account they know about, they could seize the account after the deposit.

You might consider using the refund to offer a settlement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt - How to Get out of IT? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a large credit card debt of $26000+ on a single card, and a few debts of $900-$1450 on three other cards. I am on a student fellowship, so I don't get very much money each month, but I really need to get out from under this debt - this month the interest rate seems to have drastically...

Old credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

I have an account that has not had any activity on it since 2/02. No payment was made on this account for about 6 months prior to that. I ran into financial difficulties because of medical reasons and had a loss of income. Recently another company has contacted me concerning this account because...

Credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

In 2000 my Providian card was put over its limit by a late fee. When I talked to the company about this they were very nasty and kept charging my account with late fees (and it was only late once) and now over the limit fees. My point is it would not have been over its limit if they would've...

Credit Card Debt [ 5 Answers ]

I was checking my balance in my bank account & found out my bank account has a hold on it for credit card debt. I was not notified. What are my rights-Thanks

View more questions Search