Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tlgallo Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2011, 07:27 AM
    20% Phosphate solution has crystals in the bottom - how do I make it liquid again?
    Got a crystal-growing kit for Christmas. I have three sealed bags of solution that is supposed to be 80% water and 20% Phosphate. All three have lots of hard crystals in them. I'm assuming they should be liquid. Can I just heat the bags gently (in a bowl of hot tap water? In the microwave?) to make the phosphate go back into solution?
    What caused them to form crystals prematurely? Cold? Physical shock - jostling?
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Dec 30, 2011, 08:18 AM
    The solubility of phosphate depends on the temperature. And since the solutions in those kits are saturated, you would get crystal grows with lower temperatures or if a little of the water evaporates. You can heat the bags gently and mix the content. If the crystals are really big, just crush them and mix well. Try to heat only a little at a time. If you heat a lot, crystal formation will be really fast when it cools down and they won't be very pretty. You could also just add a little water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sodium phosphate and calcium chloride react to form calcium phosphate and sodium chlo [ 3 Answers ]

balance equation sodium phosphate and calcium chloride react to form calcium phosphate and sodium chloride

Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator: freezer cold, fridge warm. Solution! [ 0 Answers ]

Surprised! Embarrassed! My wife had accidentally covered the return vent under the bottom left drawer. I didn't catch it until much later. Thanks to any who tried to help. Bruce Hi everyone, Freezer cold. Removed freezer inside back panel. No excess frost on evaporator. Air duct...

Sodium phosphate+cacium chloride yield calcium phosphate+sodium chloride [ 2 Answers ]

write the word equation as chemical equation and balance

How do I make a footer that is always at the bottom? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to make a footer that is always at the bottom of a page. It should be at the bottom of the screen when there is little content (no scrolling), but be at the bottom of the page when there is a lot of content (scrolling). Thank you in advance.

Colorless liquid is pure water or a salt solution [ 3 Answers ]

Suggest a way to determine whether a colorless liquid is pure water or a salt solution without tasting it

View more questions Search