Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roadie66 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2011, 08:12 AM
    Adding 14/2 to 12/2
    I'm running a 12/2 wire from the box to a 20amp GFCI. I'm pig tailing another 12/2 to another 20amp GFCI in order to have two GFCI plugs in a new bath. I now want to add a 14/2 wire to a new exhaust fan. The 14/2 would come off the load side of the GFCI to the fan which is over a shower. It's rated for wet location as long as it's connected to a GFCI. The second GFCI would be the one protecting the fan. Is this OK and what amp breaker would I use in the box.

Shipbdan
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 28, 2011, 09:48 AM
    Hold on there, please.

If you introduce a 14 AWG cable into this environment, the entire circuit would have to be reduced to a max load of 12 amps.

This violates several electrical codes.

The receptacles must be on a 20 amp circuit.
    roadie66 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2011, 10:58 AM
    Thanks for your reply: Should I change the GFCI, wire and fuse to 15amps or continue to run 12 AWG to the switch of the fan that controls the lights? Do I even need a 20amp circuit here?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 28, 2011, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    If you introduce a 14 AWG cable into this enviroment, the entire circuit would have to be reduced to a max load of 12 amps.
    Not true. The circuit would have to be reduced to a 15A breaker, which is a waste of 5 amps for the sake of one piece of #14.
    A 15A circuit can have a max load of 15A.

This violates several electrical codes.
    True.

The receptacles must be on a 20 amp circuit.
    True
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 28, 2011, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie66 View Post
    Thanks for your reply: Should I change the GFCI, wire and fuse to 15amps or continue to run 12 AWG to the switch of the fan that controls the lights? Do I even need a 20amp circuit here?
    Continue to run #12. DO NOT reduce wire size in a circuit.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 28, 2011, 07:18 PM
    "Originally Posted by donf:

If you introduce a 14 AWG cable into this enviroment, the entire circuit would have to be reduced to a max load of 12 amps.

"Not true. The circuit would have to be reduced to a 15A breaker, which is a waste of 5 amps for the sake of one piece of #14. A 15A circuit can have a max load of 15A."

I'm sorry, did I misapply NEC 210.21(B) and Table (210.21(B)(2)?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding another name [ 4 Answers ]

I am in California, I am curious on how much it will cost and how to add another last name to my son's name where he has both mine and my ex last name. My son is 10 1/2 months old

Adding on [ 4 Answers ]

I am going to add to my existing 10' x 16' concrete slab in the rear of my house and add a 16'x 24' enclosed room, how deep should I pour concrete in the new areas and should I secure my beams to concrete or should I sink them in the gound, Im a dock builder and this is the constrution I know....

Adding last name [ 2 Answers ]

Can my wife add my last name to the end of her child's last name, he has his father's last name,just wondering if mine can go after biological father's last name?

Adding a Name [ 1 Answers ]

How much will it cost to add my name to my partners existing mortgage?

View more questions Search