Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Oscar_'s Avatar
    Oscar_ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 24, 2011, 11:07 AM
    Child support to Teenagers after graduating from High school
    My 2 teenagers will turn 18 within 2 years, do I still need to pay child support to their mother under Florida law? Or I can just give the money to my children themselves?
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

    Dec 24, 2011, 11:14 AM
    No, you can't give it to them. It goes to the custodial parent (unless your Court papers say otherwise, which I've certainly never seen).

    Anything you give the children DIRECT is a gift (in the eyes of the Court). It is in ADDITION to child support.

    What do your Court papers say about the age support stops? 18? 21? Some other age?
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Dec 24, 2011, 11:56 AM
    When support stops is usually stated in your support order. The order will have been issued according to the law. So you need to read the order.

    But support is paid to the custodial parent, not direct.
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

    Dec 24, 2011, 12:54 PM
    You go by what your court ordered child support paperwork says. And at no time is the money to be paid to the child but to the custodial parent who is named in the child support order.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Dec 24, 2011, 01:01 PM
    Agree, the money is not the child's, it is the custodial parents. It is to be given to the parent to offset the cost of housing, of food, transportation and more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Modifying Child Support when 2 children are considered 'Adult Child Attending School' [ 13 Answers ]

I have two children for which I pay child support. The youngest will be turning 18 in the next year; and the oldest will turn 20. Jumping even further ahead beyond next year when my eldest turns 21, I assume the younger child will then begin receiving the full ordered amount, unless the CS Order...

A graduating high school seniors,14% said that their generation will be remembered for [ 1 Answers ]

a graduating high school seniors,14% said that their generation will be remembered for their social concerns.if seven graduating seniors are selected at random,find the probability that either two or three will agree with that statement

Graduating from high school on time? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am a senior in high school, and I have been homeschooled all my life. I lived in California up until January of 2010, but we suddenly had to relocate, because of immediate family circumstances. I now live in Georgia. I am 7 credits away from graduating high school, but now that...

Determining Last Child Support Payment When Child is 18 and Graduate High School [ 5 Answers ]

My step-son is 18 and will graduate high school on 6/18. We have him full time. My husband's ex pays $1,204 per month (payable half on the 1st and half on the 15th via wage garnishment.) It is my position that she has to pay the entire month's worth ($1204) because his graduation is after...

When do Support stop for a high school drop out [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 17 year old who plan to drop out of school and attend the National Guard Youth Challenge Program to get their GED. When would child support stop?

View more questions Search