Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Teaching Posts: 198, Reputation: 28

Feb 11, 2007, 11:59 PM
    How do you define love?
    I found something really nice about LOVE, am wondering how you define love? or what does caring about someone mean to you?

Summary of the Seven Natural Laws of Love

Love is its own law. Let love be your guiding principle. When in doubt, listen to your heart. Don’t allow mental concepts, beliefs, or assumptions that are not based on love to dictate your behavior.

The law of source. You are the source of love. The love inside you is abundant and eternal. You don’t need to beg, control, or compromise in order to be loved.

The law of attraction. The more you focus on love and gratitude, the more you will be surrounded by love. If you complain, blame, and dwell on fear, you’ll attract others who are also resentful, angry, and fearful.

The law of unity. Love knows no borders and no boundaries. Love includes everyone and everything. Love takes no position, rising above separation. Find unity within by resolving the conflicts inside yourself and you won’t have to act them out with another.

The law of truth. Let telling the truth about who you are and what you are feeling and thinking be your foundation. Vulnerable self-disclosure allows for empathy and understanding. The more truth is shared the more love grows.

The law of consciousness. Love is a state of consciousness available only when you’re willing to relinquish your defenses. Protection is a barrier to love. Love cannot be given or taken but it can be shared. The vibration of love in you is often stimulated when you come into contact with one who carries it.

The law of forgiveness. It’s OK to make mistakes. Very few humans are able to love perfectly. Forgive yourself and others generously and you’ll always have a second chance. Focus more on giving than getting and you’ll have much less forgiving to do.
    daisydew Posts: 75, Reputation: 14

Feb 12, 2007, 01:31 AM
    Great post! Printing this out! Thank you!

Feb 12, 2007, 01:32 AM
    If it helps, I am glad.
    kristynn Posts: 502, Reputation: 66

Feb 12, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing

"When in doubt, listen to your heart." -- I'll mainly keep this in mind :)
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 12, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Well written piece -- thank you for posting that!

Two things to add:

First: I have lived through some very alone times in which there was no one there to love me and while it was quite hard, it was survivable. However I learned in other lean times that I cannot survive without someone, something alive to love, even if it was just my dog. This confirmed to me that giving is a thousandfold more important than getting.

Second: All the things I do, thoughts I think, actions I take are out of one of two places: love or fear-- everything else we attribute them to is just a variation on those two -- love or fear. My entire human journey to wholeness has been to trade in more and more of the fear-based ones for love-based ones.

Feb 12, 2007, 11:33 PM
    How beautfiul...
    tamed Posts: 255, Reputation: 33

Feb 13, 2007, 03:23 AM
    Where are you getting these from teaching? Another thought provoking post!

Feb 13, 2007, 04:05 AM
    Let's just say I am soul searching... and have for some reason found interesting reading on the internet.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 13, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Love is... Knowing you'll get as much as you give.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Real Love

I know there are people who love, really love someone else. But there are also an awful lot of people who think what they have is love.

I was married for twenty years and I divorced my husband because I loved him, still do and always will. I tried to explain it to some of my family and friends and they just didn't get it.

Here is a quick 'Why' story. We married at 19, five months earlier my violent abusive father had just committed suicide, I was suffering from bad childhood fallout and my guy was very kind, helpful and patient. He did more for me than any psychiatrist could. He was in the parachute regiment and served time in Northern Ireland during the troubles in the 70s. He was shot in 76 and almost blown up in 79, spent almost a year in an army rehabilitation medical facility learning to walk again, lost both his parents within a year of each other - and still did what he could to help me with my problems while I did what I could to be a good wife and mother in spite of all my baggage. We had three grown children getting ready to get out on their own, and we were exhausted! We were getting crabby with each other, we were hurting each other and were no longer helping each other, we had done all we could for each other and didn't want to end up hating each other so we agreed to divorce.

I have had one five year relationship since our divorce in 1991. My guy and I even went out together for a year - then we had 'The Talk', we cried and we cuddled and we decided to leave things as they were. Since our divorce, he has been married and divorced and engaged twice and is now living with a very nice woman - and we are still friends. He still comes around at Christmas and does the Santa bit for our grown children and grandchildren. He takes me out to dinner on my birthday. And he is an amazing help with a young grandson I have living with me.

This man has military medals and was awarded The British Empire Medal in the Queens Honours List in the 80s.

Okay, that got a bit long. Oops!

Anyway, for all you lovely people reading this, my point is - Love doesn't need to mean that you have to be with someone or that they must do stuff for you and if they don't, it's because they don't love you. Most families I know, mine included - I'm the oldest of five who banded together as kids during our 'we don't talk about it' childhood - can't stand being in the same room with each other for more than a few hours. Doesn't mean they don't love one and other.

I don't believe we find love, I believe we have love in us and we decide who to give it to. Most of us give it automatically to our children unconditionally. If it is returned, great! If not, we don't simply stop loving them. We meet someone we like, we get to know them very well, we trust them and we decide we might even be able to love them.

I don't believe in love at first sight, I believe that is more like 'lust' at first sight. Love, real love between two people doesn't just happen, we have to - whether we realise it or not - go through the process of getting to know, deciding to trust etc. Real Love is like a candle burning slowly. The being 'in love' burns out too quickly and if you haven't discovered real unconditional love, the relationship will die.

Truth is there are many types of love, we begin with the love in us and if we decide to share that with someone and then watch it grow, you will find that it changes many times before - if you are lucky - it becomes Real Love.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Glad to share my thoughts with such lovely people.

Be loving and kind and gentle to each other, and love will have a nice place to grow. But remember to take care of it, feed and water it or it will die.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Define full-time resident for Georgia. [ 3 Answers ]

How does the Georgia tax code define a full-time resident? I am a travel R.N. and spent a majority of my time outside of Georgia. Do I have to pay state income taxes for Georgia? THANKS for any input! David

Does Love exist? Is there such thing as love? [ 22 Answers ]

I was wondering what is your opinion or thoughts on this situation, I went through a couple of months ago (in 2006). It was nearing the end of my first year at University, I was dancing on the last night the pub was open; suddenly, I saw a good-looking, kind of modest girl and I got the...

I love this boy that doesn't love me. [ 18 Answers ]

There is a boy I met that I think I fell in love with. He is a really good guy. He likes me back but he recently got a girlfriend that he loves. I don't know should I move on or what... :confused:

Define Supervised Visitation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a situation of a biological non-custodial parent that has supervised visitation. She had custody taken away due to neglect & other agency's findings. She does have supervised visits, and insist on trying to be alone with the child. Example, she will try to sneak out a door to take child...

Someone Please define hooking up for me. [ 4 Answers ]

As I am creeping up on 40, I have lost some of the lingo, that is going around, I drive a bus for a living, and hear kids talk all the time, I constantly hear them say Ya, I was at a party and I hooked up with this one and then later I hook up with that one Someone Please define hooking...

View more questions Search