Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Feb 10, 2007, 10:58 PM
    In Search of an in-wall diverter (two shower heads)
    Hi there everyone,

I'm remodeling my bathroom, and I've run into a problem.

I'm using a standard setup for the bath with a dual handle manifold which uses a stop on the tub spigot to divert flow to the shower head, but I've made a decision that has put me at a stopping point.

I've plumbed a standard shower head above the manifold, but I've also plumbed a rain head that exits from the ceiling. I thought it would be easy to find an in wall diverter to direct the flow from the main showerhead to the rain head in the ceiling. Such has not been the case.

I think I could use a standard rotary style manifold, plugging one of the intended outlets, and using the remaining outlet as the inlet, then making the hot and cold my new outlets, but the problems with this is that they're overly expensive for what I'm doing, and also the escutcheons are always labeled for H&C(plus they're usually huge).

I've found diverters like this, but it's intended to be outside the wall.

Does anyone know of an inwall diverter that I can use for my needs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Json
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2007, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by schwim
    Hi there everyone,

I'm remodeling my bathroom, and I've run into a problem.

I'm using a standard setup for the bath with a dual handle manifold which uses a stop on the tub spigot to divert flow to the shower head, but I've made a decision that has put me at a stopping point.

I've plumbed a standard shower head above the manifold, but I've also plumbed a rain head that exits from the ceiling. I thought it would be easy to find an in wall diverter to direct the flow from the main showerhead to the rain head in the ceiling. Such has not been the case.

I think I could use a standard rotary style manifold, plugging one of the intended outlets, and using the remaining outlet as the inlet, then making the hot and cold my new outlets, but the problems with this is that they're overly expensive for what I'm doing, and also the escutcheons are always labled for H&C(plus they're usually huge).

I've found diverters like this, but it's intended to be outside the wall.

Does anyone know of an inwall diverter that I can use for my needs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    json
    This is one I've had great success with.

Feb 10, 2007, 11:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    Thanks very much for your reply, but would you happen to know of a less expensive alternative? That exceeds the cost of my whole current setup :)

Thanks,
    Json
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Well, you could try finding individual volume controls for each individual function.

If you do this, plug the top port of the tub/shower valve and pipe out of the bottom of the valve -- The upper port usually has a flow restrictor in it, which means you'll have greater volume out of the lower port.

Feb 11, 2007, 10:55 PM
    I just wanted to say thanks for your help. I found a discontinued version (m# 29734) of the diverter you posted (m# 29733) on eBay which looks to be a 4 port instead of 3 port for about half price. If I'm right that it's a 4 port, I'll simply use it for the spigot as well as the heads. Visually, it's identical.

Thanks again!
    Json

Feb 17, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Hi there iamgrowler, I have the diverter now, and have a couple more questions for you, if you're still around:

1) How is it mounted? There are no mounting flanges or flat spots on the valve body. Does it just float inwall, using only the escutcheon to hold it in place?

2) There are four ports on the valve. One 1/2 inlet, and right across from that, and outlet that works regardless of the position of the valve, then there are two outlets perpendicular to the inlet. I understand that the tub spigot should be on the one across from the inlet, as stopping the spigot will supply the water to the other two outlets, but what confuses me is that of the two remaining outlets, one has a 3/4" outlet, and the other is 1/2". Can I just reduce that down to 1/2"?

Thanks,
    Json

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing multiple shower heads [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation. I would like to install two shower heads. I am not sure what the best way to set this up. Can I use one set of valves to run both shower heads? Will the 1/2 inch copper lines allow enough water volume to pressurize both heads from one set of...

Removing shower heads and replacing them [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old shower head that needs to be replace but don't know how to go about doing it. It does not look like one that I can remove at the head of the shower but one that it looks like I would have to remove it from the base of the shower wall if that all makes sense. Help.

Shower diverter [ 5 Answers ]

I moved into an older home (30 yrs old) and found that the bathtub and shower would both expel water... I replaced the diverter stem and still have problem. I checked for debris and trash but still can't solve problem. I am beginning to think I replaced the stem, but that previous owner used...

Two shower heads [ 1 Answers ]

New construction. I have a shower faucet (Danze, oil rubbed bronze) and an additional shower head (same brand and finish) that I want to add and have mounted from the ceiling of our shower enclosure.I want to switch from one head to the other. Need to rig some kind of valve or diverter for tidy...

Shower Heads [ 3 Answers ]

How Do I Remove The Flow Control System Off A Shower Head So The Pressure Comes Out Greater It's a Dual Shower Head If That Helps

View more questions Search