Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    a.davis03 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2011, 12:58 PM
    Sewage Smell
    My house has had this problem for a few years. When ever I run a large amount of water such as for a load of laundry or a shower I can smell a sewer smell coming from the crawl space which is where all of our pipes are. We have looked at all the pipes and none are leaking down there. We have a septic tank outside and well water. I need some advice.I have looked at drains in the laundry room as well. They seem fine. I poored water down them and do not smell anything from them. So it can't be a drain I don't use. All of the pipes have traps on them as well. I'm really stumped on this one and am about to call a plumber but I don't want to spend all that money if any one has any advice it would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2011, 02:30 PM
    You could have a pipe crack that is on the top and wouldn't leak or possibly a vent pipe separation. You need to look at all the piping close up and possibly be in the crawl space when a load of laundry is done. Do you have an ejector pump?

Dec 12, 2011, 03:05 PM
    No ejector pump. I ran water down the tub and someone was down there looking at all the piping but found no leaks.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 12, 2011, 05:39 PM
    Going to have to inspect every inch of every pipe in the crawlspace. Look for any signs of leakage or cracks, or loose joints. It can be time consuming, and a real pain in a crawl space, but this is what you would be paying a plumber to do, so if you want to save some cash, your going to have to get in there and start investigating. Please let us know what you find.

Are you possitive the smell is coming from the crawl space?

Dec 13, 2011, 07:32 AM
    Well. When we were down there looking around it wasn't really smelling so I went and ran a bunch of "cold" water down the bath tub and about 5 minutes after the furnace turned on. Then when the furnace was done it started to really smell under there. Im not completely sure that it was from under there but that seems to be where the smell starts.

Dec 13, 2011, 07:37 AM
    Could it have anything to do with the air admittance valve on the washer and the softner?
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2011, 09:09 AM
    Yes, possibly, AAV's can leak but with all the ones I have in my 2 houses or have seen, I've never had to replace one. Is your heater in the crawl space? Unless the heater is somehow drafting from the crawl, not sure about that unless your crawl is very tightly sealed. Not much of a way to get negative pressure there. Condensate pump connected in the crawl? You could have a negative pressure from the air handler and it is pulling from a cracked or disconnected vent line. As I and MGD77 said, you need to look further at the crawl piping.

Dec 13, 2011, 09:15 AM
    No heater is not in crawl space but there is a huge vent that goes through there. I am not sure what a condensate pump is can you explain?

Dec 13, 2011, 10:50 AM
    I thought I should add this. Whenever our softner regenerates in the middle of the night the smell is so bad that I wake up. Im wondering more and more if it has something to do with the softner?
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2011, 02:29 PM
    Condensate pump, if so equipped, it a pump designed to remove the condensed water from AC and heaters and pump the water outside, or in some instances, into the sanitary sewer. If you don't have a heater in the crawl, you wouldn't have a pump their either. Just stretching my mind here.
    grencha Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2013, 01:42 PM
    I am not sure if this will help at all but I had a smell when after running water in the kitchen area of my mobile home. The thing is that water drains a long way to the opposite end of the home. So I still have no idea what causes the smell but if I put about 2-3 cups of Arm and Hammer washing soda down the drain with hot water the smell goes away for at least a few weeks.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2013, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grencha View Post
    I am not sure if this will help at all but I had a smell when after running water in the kitchen area of my mobile home. The thing is that water drains a long way to the opposite end of the home. So I still have no idea what causes the smell but if I put about 2-3 cups of Arm and Hammer washing soda down the drain with hot water the smell goes away for at least a few weeks.
    Note that this post was over a year old.
    grencha Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2013, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Note that this post was over a year old.
    Reply:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a sewage smell? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a sewage smell in my kitchen that has covered the entire house. It only comes when the weather changes from hot to cold. I have tried bleach in the sinks, plus some lemon foam stuff I purchased from Lowe's. It works for a few hours but quickly the smell comes back. There are no leaks...

Smell of sewage that won't go away [ 2 Answers ]

We started having an occasional smell of rottenness (we originally thought it was a guest with a gas problem) about a year ago. Then we realised it was not only stronger but more sewagey 7mths later but put it down to a rotting bird or rat caught in the chimney or under the floorboards. But as...

Sewage smell [ 4 Answers ]

I cannot source the cause of very unpleasant sewage or stale water smells in upper and lower rooms of my house. All drains are clear as is the internal waste plumbing.

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have an odd problem in an old house I just bought. The big problem is that just after doing laundry, and only then, there is a strong sewage smell. The second, and probably connected problem, is that when the washer drains, there is a backup in the sink next to the laundry room. My guess is...

Sewage smell [ 2 Answers ]

Recently we bought a house. As soon as we moved in we could smell a sewage smell coming from both bathrooms (cannot locate exactly where) and outside the front of our house (seems to be coming from underneath the house). How do we begin to look into this without calling out a plumber?

View more questions Search