Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrv14 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2011, 09:14 PM
    I weigh 105 pounds and drank 2 pints of vodka starting 10:00 AM Friday and ending at
    5:00 PM Saturday. I took and EtG with a cutoff of 500 on Tuesday at 5:30. Can I pass?
    buttler73 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2011, 09:15 PM
    Water!!
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2011, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrv14 View Post
    5:00 PM Saturday. I took and etg with a cutoff of 500 on Tuesday at 5:30. Can I pass?
    Despite the large amount of alcohol consumed you have a chance. That is a very long period for consumption, 31 hours. Is that correct? Tell me a little more about your consumption pattern and we can narrow it down.

For instance you started at 10:00 Friday. What time did you finish the first pint? I assume you slept between the start and finish of drinking? Need this info in order to calculate approximate BAC at time of last drink.

Dec 10, 2011, 06:18 AM
    Unfortunately, the times of consumption were: 1st pint between 10 AM and 7 PM Friday [I slept approximately 10 hours that night]and then from 9 AM and 6:30 PM Saturday. I tried using one of the BAC calculators, and based on my weight, amount consumed and time span in which I drank, my BAC was calculated at .5 or something like that on Friday alone. Maybe I was inputting data wrong, but I don't think so. I also can't imagine I actually had a .5 BAC or I think I'd be dead. If my BAC was as high as it was predicted, it would take about 34 hours to reach a 0 BAC, which would leave not nearly enough time for the EtG to clear by Tuesday 5:30 PM.

I drank a pint of vodka a month ago on a Saturday, finishing around 6:30. I got called for a random test Monday, took the test around 6:30 and failed. I know my cutoff is 500 and my caseworker didn't disclose [nor did I ask] my EtG level. Menstral issues could have contributed to not voiding the EtG in the 48 hour time frame. I'm not sure.

Dec 10, 2011, 06:23 AM
    I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm not a daily drinker. When I drink I tend to drink a lot, but it was six weeks, for example, since last time of consumption.

Dec 10, 2011, 06:37 AM
    One additional question. I was reviewing the Helander 2008 study on EtG detection and detox patients. I'm not a scientist and am wondering what the alcohol concentration of 1.0 to 3.4 g/L translates to.

Many cites say EtG is usually only detectable for 80 hours in "extreme cases," but again, based on my size, level of consumption and short time frame in which the alcohol was consumed, I'm thinking mine might be one of those extremes even with the 500 cutoff.
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2011, 09:42 AM
    Calculating BAC at your weight poses some problems when consumption amount is considered. But using the standard formulary I came up with BAC = .17 at the conclusion of drinking on Friday. Staying with that system, (.015 ph elimination) you would have been near BAC = .02 on Saturday morning.

I suspect that you eliminate alcohol much faster than .015. 1) females eliminate about 10% faster than males, but more importantly is a 2) metabolic pathway called Microbial Ethanol Oxidizing System (MEOS). I call this "liver overdrive" and it kicks in after continuing exposure to systemic alcohol.

Anyway, your Friday drinking should be viewed as a separate session as EtG does not accumulate. So, EtG elimination time for the Friday drinking session began at 9:00 Sat morn.

However, at that point you began drinking again and consumed 8.5 drinks ending at 6:30 Saturday. Presumably with a BAC = .17 requiring approximately 11 hrs to return to BAC = 0. Or around 5 AM Sunday. That allows about 60 hours for elimination.

Because of the volume of alcohol consumed across a long period and the overlapping drinking sessions it's almost impossible to call. You have about a 20% chance of passing the test. By using a standard .015 metabolism that doesn't allow for your probable accelerated clearance. However, If estimating EtG clearance, to be safe, I would put clearance above 78 hours.

As an impartial observer given that you are an intermittent-excessive drinker I question why you are challenging the limits of this test. You are certainly within a range where you may fail and you seem to be aware of that?

Dec 10, 2011, 09:48 AM
    Thanks. I'm an alcoholic is the answer to your question. I was in recovery for a good number of years and relapsed recently. I am simply going to call my caseworker and admit the relapse, versus waiting for him to call me, which will not end nearly as well.

Thank you.
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2011, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrv14 View Post
    Thanks. I'm an alcoholic is the answer to your question. I was in recovery for a good number of years and relapsed recently. I am simply going to call my caseworker and admit the relapse, versus waiting for him to call me, which will not end nearly as well.

Thank you.
    All considered that is probably a good choice. That allows you to address the underlying problem directly, alcoholism. Lapses are to be expected, it's part of the pathology, so don't beat yourself up.

Once again, given your circumstances, you are making the best choice and should be commended.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2011, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by buttler73 View Post
    Water!!!!!!!

Excessive water is picked up on testing - this is incorrect advice (if one word is considered advice).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I drank half a bottle of Vodka on Sunday and had to test Monday! Do I have any chance [ 2 Answers ]

My last drink was around 11 pm Sunday night and Tested on Monday at 4 pm. I weigh 160 lbst and am 5ft 6 inchs that's 17 hrs . What are my chances?

I drank a 1 & 1/2 pints of cheap vodka. [ 7 Answers ]

42 hours later I had to give urine to be tested at a laboratory. When I did my urine was almost clear from all the water I had been drinking trying to clean my body out. Will I pass or have a positive for alcohol?

I want to be 105 pounds [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am a 21 year old woman who now weighs about 114-116 pounds since I last checked. I am 5'3 and have a small skeletal frame. I have been on a diet for almost 5 months now, and lost overall about 41 pounds. But I noticed that for the last 2 months almost, I have not really lost much weight....

View more questions Search