Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teehee_mefunny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Worried about my mom
    I am 28 years old, married with 3 kids. I do not get along well with my mother, she is too controlling I think, but then I think all she wants to do is help.. anyway my question is should I let her move in with me and my family?? I really do not know what to do..
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 10, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Even mothers who get along spectacularly with their families pose a significant adjustment for both sides when moving into an adult child's home but with good planning, it can be done. Maybe you would be better served by looking into alternative living arrangements or improving your relationship first. Can you post more about what your motives/reasons are for considering this action... apart from the worry you mentioned, if I may ask? We might be able come up with ways to solve or affect it other than moving her in.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 05:27 PM
    I do not on the norm ever advice having other family members living with you unless it is a "have to "

I would not turn her out on the street, and if her health is so bad she needs to live with you so that you can take care of her, then you have to do what you have to do.

I get along great with my Mother in law and she spends about 1/2 the year with us, one month here, one month somewhere else. And I love having her here, but I would not want my mom to step across the door step into my house, and most certainly not live here.

So unless you have a perfect relationship with her, all she will do is cause trouble.

A old idea, if you have to even ask, then you should not
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Teehee, not knowing you or your mother, it is hard for anyone on this site to be able to give you a proper objective opinion. From just the bit you wrote here, you suggest she can be controlling. If this has been an issue between to the two of you, that could spell a disastrous outcome if you move her into your home.

Here are some questions that you need to think about that might help you in your decision.

Does your mother undermine your parenting when you and your kids are together with her?

Does your mother tell you that you are not doing things right, whether it is parenting, cooking, cleaning, general life stuff?

Does your mother get along well with your husband?

Does your mother get along well with your children?

Does your mother pitch in and help with chores when you ask for help, without questioning why, or is she critical of your failure to get these chores done yourself?

Is there any medical reason that she cannot live on her own and requires assistance?

Is the only reason you are thinking of letting her move in with you a financial reason for either you or for her?

Will you have any privacy/she have any privacy if she moves in with you?

Do you have "house rules" and do you feel your mother will abide by them without arguing with you about them?

As I said, think about these questions. See if the pros outweigh the cons, or viceversa. If the pros outweigh the cons, then it is a situation you can live with. If the cons outweigh the pros, then it is a situation you cannot live with.

If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to discussion the questions I have listed here further, then just let me know.

Hope this helped.:)
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2007, 05:44 PM
    I personally would think that would cause a lot of problems and interference with your only family.

See with my experience family inlaw, mother and sister especially cause too much trouble and way too controlling and it almost tore us apart, so I would say it is not a good idea.

Like everybody else said here, we do not know the exact situation so it is hard to say what you need to do, but it should defiantly be discussed with your partner and children. Decided as a family.

Joe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Worried... [ 14 Answers ]

I have been really stressed out lately and I am findind myself unable to go to bed until the early hours of the morning (even thiugh I am tired) and I am not able to eat properly either. At times I feel sick (but never am sick). Yesterday I went to work (on an empty stomach) as I just wasn't...

Worried. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Am a guy of 22 and at ma age I don't have a beard and there are no sign it would *** out in the next year,it worries me to c people below ma age wit beard and wit this I look younga than them,is there anytin I can do or use? I look a bit younga than ma age and very soon I'll be graduating...

My mom and Step mom in hate! [ 6 Answers ]

My mom and step mom are not getting along. It all started with a stupid gift card! Out of all things. My card only had $3.45 on it and my brother only had $.19 on his. The cards were soposed to have $20.00 on it. My mom and step mom live one house away from each other and then they just get into...

Should I be worried [ 6 Answers ]

My Question I'm A 41 Year Old Female I Came On My Cycle June 28 And I Went Off July 3 From July 5 Until Now I Been Spotting And Little Heavy . This Never Happen And I'm A Lil Scared Is It Normal.:(

Worried Mom [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is dating a guy from another state. He comes here on week ends and she talks to him all the time on the phone. He doesn't have a cell but uses his mothers. When he comes here she pays for everything but denies it when I ask her. She says he pays but I know for sure she does. She is...

View more questions Search