Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sticknca Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2011, 04:51 PM
    Furnace overheating. Runaway condition?
    Furnace overheating. Runaway condition?
    Yesterday when arriving back home I found the house a very warm 80 degrees, but thermostat was at the lowest setting.
    Old (20 yrs) Payne 100FAU-12, natural gas.
    Opened closet where the furnace is located and noticed strong overheating smell.
    Shut off gas supply, and later turned gas/pilot valve to off.
    Gas company guy arrived and wanted to light pilot, but when he turned gas supply on, burners had gas pouring out with the pilot valve to the off position. He disconnected supply and capped it.
    Out of work and cash is nearly non existent. Suggestions? Trouble shooting ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2011, 05:45 AM
    You need a new gas valve which is easy to change and cheap. Remove the old one and take it to a parts house and match it. Put it back on with a little pipe dope and you are all done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a lennox pulse 90 furnace gsr14q3-80 furnace and when I turn the air condition [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lennox pulse furnace model no. gsr14q3-80 and when I turn the air conditioner on, the furnace hums and the outside air condition unit fan runs but the blower on the furnace will not run.

Air condition comes on while furnace is running! [ 5 Answers ]

I have older model Whirlpool Brand Furnace, which was doing fine until recently. Just yesterday, I noticed that the a/c blower/condenser unit outside is coming on at the same time the furnace is coming on. (i.e. I want the furance to run, but not the a/c condensor) I've researched the problem to...

New Payne furnace overheating [ 2 Answers ]

I had a new Payne furnace model PG8MAA042090 installed a couple of weeks ago. It has not worked consistently since it was installed... keeps shutting off. Incidentally, we replaced the thermostat at the same time with a Honeywell programmable model. One company came out and replaced the limit...

Is this furnace condition hazardous? [ 2 Answers ]

When a flame is held under the diverter of my 30-year-old gravity gas furnace, it is blown out by the warm gases rising. Is this normal functioning of the furnace, or is it a hazardous condition meaning the old furnace should be replaced with a new forced air gas furnace? Five technicians have...

Furnace/air condition won't come on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a airease johnson furnace/air condition unit that won't come on. I have had trouble with it in the past and messed with the thermostat and then it would come on,but that doesn't seem to be working at this point.

View more questions Search