Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onabudget Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2004, 10:20 PM
    Concrete Shower Base
    I am trying to replace what was an all plastic shower stall located in my basement with a more substantial structure. All of the plumbing is in place but as part of my project I have studded out one wall so that I could re-route the hot and cold water lines inside the new wall. Because of this the drain location will not fit with any "manufactured" shower bases that I've looked at at my local home centers. So I am considering forming and pouring my own custom shower floor with concrete and then either covering the floor with tile or perhaps one of those epoxy-paint combinations that are so popular now. The actual size of my new shower stall has not been exactly determined yet and can be adjusted as needed. I would like to build the walls out of metal studs and cover them with cement board and tile. My question is, how do I pour the new floor and ensure that I have the correct slope to the floor so the water will drain correctly?

Thank you,

onabudget
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 8, 2004, 07:29 AM
    Shower Floor
    I had kind of hoped Labman would pick up on this. What you're proposing sounds like a simple floor drain and you have a choice of drains. You can install a regular floor drain with its own trap or go with a shower drain with a separate trap. I can only advise on a concrete floor installation as tile setting's a different trade. Depending on the size of the enclosure about 1/2"to 3/4" slope to the foot is normal. My walk in shower's on the cement slab and is 2' X 4' with 1 1/2" fall from the floor line to the top of the drain.
    the walls sound fine just place the shower head 76" offd the floor and aim it away from the opening. Good luck and let me know how you make out. Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2004, 08:04 AM
    I would work from the existing drain or a new cover. Decide how you are going to finish the floor. You need some texture in the surface. If you use the epoxy, either buy material with grit in it, or add grit. The one other alternative would be the adhesive stuff meant for in bathtubs. By tile, you mean ceramic tile?

Allowing for the thickness of the finish, come out to where the wall is going to be and form up concrete with the top of the form about an inch above the drain. Pour the concrete and finish it sloping down leaving enough room for the finish. As long as it is well supported by grout, the ceramic tile can be made to fit the curved concrete base. If you need help with ceramic tile, you might try a different area. I lack experience with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing shower base [ 6 Answers ]

Tom, I have a new question. In setting a shower base, on concrete, how much mortar should a person spread, just a couple inches around the drain? Or, should it be more than that. Also, what's the deal in the instructions about putting plastic over the mortar? The base wouldn't be stuck down with...

Shower base... [ 7 Answers ]

Not sure if this is a pluming question or tiling question, so sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I'm still working on my master bathroom project (some of you may remember me from my "moving a toilet" question). Well, everything is roughed in in its new locations and I am starting to...

Sealing shower stall base [ 1 Answers ]

There is a leak between the acrilic wall and the shower stall pan. Caulking using acrilic did not help. Shall I cut the plastic wall and/or use some special sealing material? Thanks!

Subfloor over concrete under shower base? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering if it is a good idea to put a subflloor over the basement concrete under the shower base or if I should just use mortar or even PL200 glue.

Shower stall base [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a house with an unfinished half bath. The shower base was not installed. There is a cast iron pipe coming up through the slab.there is a drain leaded into the pipe with a flange and a liner that is cut off,and a threaded 2" drain screwed into it,it has been there a long time and I...

View more questions Search