Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksuarez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2011, 09:06 PM
    Selling a car in Iowa
    After I sign my title over to a new buyer but don't take the plates off right away will I still be liable for the vehicle
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 28, 2011, 10:45 PM
    Do you have a copy of the bill of sale signed by you and by them to prove in court, you sold it to a specific person?

How long will they take to register it ?

I sold a car once, three years latter it was found involved in a hit and run, deserted. The person who I sold it to, never registed it, guess where the police came?

You will be OK if you got all the paper work done, but I always pull my plates, but the car will still show up owned by you, till they take the title in and register it.
    jershu3 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2011, 10:56 PM
    Most states REQUIRE that you remove the plates. I would check with the office where you get your plates from. It is also a good idea to do a bill of sale, even if your state dosen't require it. Make sure you have the VIN, good details of the transaction, including stating that you are removing the plates, ant the buyer is resopnsible to get new ones. Some states also require the seller to get an emissions certificate for the car. Be sure to get both signatures. A buyer with good intentions will have no problem with this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have my car title but in another state and am selling my car in Montana [ 2 Answers ]

I have to move and don't know how to get this car sold without my title by the time it would come to me in mail, I won't be in the same state as the person buying my car,I'm asking if I have it all notarised on my end and send it to them can that work? Or how would I sell my car without a title...

Selling a car [ 0 Answers ]

Can you please tell me what are the laws in pensylvania,I had my car for sale and somebody gave me 500 dollars as down payment and kept me for 7 weeks after that I sold the car to another byer now the first buyer is asking me the deposit here is my question should I give his money back or I can...

Collectible Pepsi Bottle for 1977 University of Iowa vs Iowa State Football [ 1 Answers ]

I need to try and find the value for a Still Sealed Commemorative 1977 University of Iowa vs Iowa State Football Pepsi Bottle. I need this for insurance issues. It seems the Post Office can't tell what F-R-A-G-I-L-E means. They managed to break one of the set even though they were wrapped in bubble...

Selling a car [ 2 Answers ]

What are some good sites to post a car for free? I'm selling a car, and need places to advertise it. I've posted on craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums and Kijiji USA Free Classifieds - Post & Search Free Classified Ads Are there...

Selling a car [ 2 Answers ]

How do I sell my car that I still owe money. Just 800.00 but want sell to get a new auto

View more questions Search