Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    vijay15685's Avatar
    vijay15685 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 9, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Roth IRA for F1 student
    Hi AtlantaTaxExpert,

    I am a student of Indian citizenship with an F1 visa, in the US since Aug. 2003. I file taxes using the 1040NR-EZ form.

    I was wondering if it would be possible to contribute towards a Roth IRA in my current status. From the research I did on the internet it seems like I can, since I am considered a non-resident alien, and they are allowed to. I wanted to confirm this with you.

    Also are there are any implications for the IRA, being an F1 student? Will there be any issues if my status changes later on, to OPT or H1-B? Thank you for your time and help.

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 9, 2007, 03:46 PM

    Yes, you can fund and report a Roth IRA as a non-resident alien.

    No, it will cause no issues when you apply to convert to H-1B.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing an ira to roth [ 4 Answers ]

If I have rolled over a 401k to an Ira then how do I change it to a Roth and how is the taxes handled at that time?

Roth IRA contributions [ 1 Answers ]

I have contributed $4000 in my Roth IRA for 2006. Now I find out that it would be better for me to pay the income tax on an inherited annuity rather than having the estate pay the higher income tax rate. The annuity will be about $175,000, and that would put me over the limit for contributing...

401k to Roth IRA [ 3 Answers ]

I am an italian citizen who worked in the US for 5 years on a H1-B visa. I will be going back to Italy for good at the end of March 2006 and I want to rollover my 401k to a Roth IRA (through a direct rollover IRA). The amount in the 401k is around $40,000. My income for 2005 was $49,000. If I...

Roth Ira Transfer [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to open a Roth IRA 6 Month CD account. After the CD matures, how do I move the funds to another Bank if the rates are better elsewhere without triggering a taxable/penalty event? Thank you , Rich

Roth IRA Question [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know whether I can continue to contribute to a Roth IRA while I am collecting unemployment benefits? Hopefully it won't be for long. Am still paying taxes on unemployment benefit check.

View more questions Search