Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    alisonw1's Avatar
    alisonw1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 9, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Termination of parental rights and child support
    The father of my grandson wants to terminate his parental rights and thinks that by doing that, he will not have to pay child support. We have been working through the Texas Attorney General's office for 2 years, and he was finally ordered to take a paternity test, today. If he is the father and wants to relinquish his parental rights, will he still have to pay child support?
    Synnen's Avatar
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443

    Feb 9, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Yup. He sure will.

    He'll pay, and not get a single bit of say in how his child is raised.

    He will probably be advised against relinquishing his rights.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,292, Reputation: 7691

    Feb 9, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Yes, the only termination of parent right that does away with child support payments is the one where the child is adopted by the step parent.

    Termination of rights is actually fairly silly, since a father like that does not have to visit, can't be forced to, so they are merely giving up something they can't be forced to do anyway.

    Child support is a obligation and if it was as easy as giving it up, people would not be sitting in jail for not paying it.

    He is merely talking without any knowledge, he can be forced to pay child support as long as the mother and court demands.

    I would personally not discuss it with him personally or directly, don't make any comments other than for him to talk to your attorney.

    After he finds this out, his next statement will be that he is going to sue and get custody of the child and take the child away, after trying to cheat his way out does not work, normally they will start to threaten in one manner or another, expect it and be ready for it.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Feb 9, 2007, 11:53 AM
    I have to ask whether you read any of the many threads on this subject in this forum? Had you done so you would not have had to post your question. The answer was already there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Parental Rights and Child Support [ 4 Answers ]

My ex hasn't made any attempt to show me that he cares about our 2 month old daughter and now he said that he would sign over his rights. I just turned in the child support order so should I tell the courts that I don't want child support now if I don't want him in her life and he doesn't want to...

Termination of parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

I was served a citation for termination of my parental rights today and was needing to know that if I do not volontarily give up my rights would the judge grant my ex and her husbands request. My children our 14 and 16. I have not played a big factor in their lives due to alcohol abuse and being in...

Termination of Parental Rights [ 7 Answers ]

Can a parent terminate their parental rights so they don't have to pay child support?

Voluntary termination of parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just want to know how my husband can do to relinquish his parental rights over his daughter , we have been married for 7 years he recently told me he has a 1 year old daughter Its been hard for me to cope with this problem at first I tought the best thing to do was try and get visitation...

Relinquished Parental Rights/child support? [ 1 Answers ]

We adopted my 10-day old niece on 12/17/04. We adopted her through the state as the mother's parental rights were terminated. We received the child when she was only 10 days old. My brother is the alleged father and no testing was involved. He was served and signed papers when the child was...

View more questions Search