Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greatmohican Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2011, 12:56 AM
    Metaphorically speaking...
    Metaphorically speaking, if a child was caught growing pounds of marijuana in his room, would his parents get in trouble also? In this situation the parents had no idea what was going on and the son confesses they didn't know anything can child services punish the parents?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 27, 2011, 12:58 AM
    Yes.
    The parents must be completely oblivious to events if they couldn't notice the small alone!!
    They own the house and are therefore responsible for what occurs within it's walls.

It would be impossible to hide the cultivation of such a large crop.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2011, 03:36 AM
    Hello g:

Your parents wouldn't be in trouble with CPS. It would be the DEA and they can take the house away - metaphorically speaking.

excon
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 27, 2011, 05:07 AM
    Perhaps you mean hypothetical, not metaphorical?

I cringe at today's teens thinking their bedrooms are 'theirs.' They don't pay the mortgage, the utilities, or buy the furnishings. Of course parents are responsible for what goes on in there.

Nov 27, 2011, 10:06 AM
    All right, the grow room would have been on the parents property that the kid was "renting" right next to the house. If having a legal document that the teen was renting and paying for the room could the parents still get in trouble?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2011, 10:12 AM
    Yes they may still get into trouble. The DA will look closely at if and how they could not know. Again, they could also still risk losing their home. They may get charges dropped or not be charged but there is a good chance.

Even a landlord has a duty to inspect the property he is leasing out.
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2011, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by greatmohican View Post
    If having a legal document that the teen was renting and paying for the room could the parents still get in trouble?
    Hello again, g:

There's no way to tell. They might get charged with a crime, or they might not. They cops are NOT nice people, and how they'll act in YOUR case can't be known. Maybe you live in Texas where you can get the death penalty for selling pot. Maybe you live in SF where they wouldn't care... I don't know.

What I do know is that with a simple CIVIL action, they can take the house... I see no reason why they wouldn't. I'm sure the chief needs a new car.

excon

Nov 27, 2011, 02:33 PM
    Where do you guys source this information from? If I wanted to research further into the laws and just gather information what archives or books should I look into?
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2011, 02:58 PM
    Hello great:

Look here, metaphorically speaking.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2011, 06:32 PM
    Past experience as a "Fed" and working with people who were drug dealers, remember if there is a large amount they are dealers and manufactors and the law is a lot harder on them than just users.

Having a drug dealing family member who was bringing it into my home.

When they come in and do a "raid" they take any and everything they want if they can even make any connection to possible drug business, they will take computers, things out of the kitchen that could be used to make drugs, notebooks, any radio that could get a police frequency, any walkie talkies, any weapons and so on.
    They take all of this often even if they can't find any drugs, and it is hard to get all of it back even after months.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 27, 2011, 07:37 PM
    If the "teen" is under 18, then this "teen" is not a legal adult and cannot "rent" from the parents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speaking [ 4 Answers ]

I have problem speaking. I am not able to express my ideas exactly in the way I want to. There is no flow in my sentence,my words gets jumbled in every sentence I make. I really don know wats my problem,I take my own time to locate the words but still I find it hard to make a perfect sentence....

3 1/2 not speaking, what can I do? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am worried that there is something wrong with my daughter, she is 3 years old now will turn 4 in August but she doesn't have any clear words yet. She can say "papa", "momma", "morning", "bye". She replies when called. She sways (dance) to music. But if she doesn't get she shouts and...

Public Speaking [ 33 Answers ]

How to develop good public speaking skills?

Friends not speaking [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Well I have this friend, Mark, he is 3 years older than me and I met him through my older sister. We started talking and we have a lot in common. He was there for me when I was depressed, bulimic and suicidal and he helped me come to terms with a few deaths. The main reason he has been...

View more questions Search