Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria2day Posts: 94, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 11:17 AM
    Mom will not allow people to visit dad in a nursing home
    My dad has Alzheimers. Against everyone's wishes,my mom placed dad in a nursing home. She has taken up with another man and given him all of my dads savings. Now she has instructed the nursing home not to allow any visitors to my dad. Can she do that? Is there any way to get him out of the nursing home
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 26, 2011, 11:21 AM
    First of all, to help you in the best possible way, we need to know which country this is in.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 26, 2011, 11:52 AM
    If your in the U.S. you can fight for a P.O.A. for his care. But you would be fighting against your mom and have to show that his interest isn't being looked after in the proper way.

P.O.A. = Power Of Attorney.

It allows for you to make decisions on his behalf.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 26, 2011, 11:58 AM
    The first thing is to have your father declared incompetent to take care of himself. Then you will need to fight your mother for conservatorship. So you really need to consult an attorney to take this on.

One more point, Alzheimer's can be detrimental to families. An alzheimer's patient will often need 24/7 moniitoring and care. Unless the "everyone" whose wishes your mother went against, is able to provide such care, then a nursing home may have been the best solution.

Nov 26, 2011, 02:23 PM
    I am in California in the US.I have been taki ng care of my dad for the past 3 yrs. I am anursing assistant and am completely willing and able to take care of him. When I found out about the affair mom was having, she kicked me out of the house and put him in a nursing home. By the way, mom also has a diagnosis of Dementia, but is not incompetent yet. She has given her new friend over $20,000 of my dads money. This new friend has a very extensive criminal background and is 20 yrs younger than mom. Clearly he is taking advantage of her. I have reported it to the authorities, but since she denies being victimized, they won't help
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 26, 2011, 02:33 PM
    This agency is very interested in elder abuse, even when the elder is compliant with the person financially abusing her, as your mother seems to be. Please call the 24 Hour Local Crisis Hotline for your area.

California Department of Aging - State of California

Nov 26, 2011, 11:15 PM
    Thanks for the link. Ill let you know how it goes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Risk for going to a nursing home.. And I need a nursing diagnosis. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing my assessment on my patient. It is broken up into sections and in the discharge planning section I am stuck on what to put. She is 62 and has had 2 strokes and her family is starting to struggle to take care of her. Her husband said that he fears a nursing home is in her near future....

My dad is never home and step mom talks bad about my mom and step dad, I want to mov [ 4 Answers ]

Im 16 years old, and I live in Ohio. Today topped the list of my life. I have a go cart and I messed up our 700 yard driveway. Before they would let me go to my moms for the weekend I was told to clean up the ruts and stuff I made. So I did. Then my step mom came down and asked me to do all the...

Credit Card debt elderly retired mom dad in nursing home [ 2 Answers ]

My dad is about to enter a nursing home with the assistance of medicaid. My mom will be seeling her house and has some equity in her house, but that is all she has, other than her fixed income check, to survive until it is her time to enter the retirement home. SHe is only 62. They have a line of...

Why does my dog pee on the foot of people who visit our home? [ 2 Answers ]

We recently got a 1 1/2 year old Golden Retriever from the local shelter. He is a wonderful dog except when we have people come to visit. He pees on their foot. The first time he did this he was in a very excited state, the second time he appeared to be very mellow. He has been fixed since he...

When can Calif. Step in and put mom in nursing home? [ 2 Answers ]

My mom lives in California. Dad passed away three years ago and it is just my sister and I and mom. I live in Wyoming, my sister in CA. My mom has my sister at her becken call and won't allow her to have a life with her son. Mom is very abusive to my sister and my sister is always calling us to...

View more questions Search