Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kittenfb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2011, 09:15 AM
    HIPAA violation ?
    My former employer, who is also the owner of the facility( a substance abuse hospital) called one evening asking about treatment for a patient that was admitted earlier that day. This particular patient happened to be a family a family member of his. After checking the patient's chart, it was discovered that he was not listed on the confidentiality agreement giving us permission to discuss treatment. After I explained this to him, his reply was "You DO know who I am, don't you?". I feel like this was a direct violation of HIPAA policy. Anyone else have any thoughts on this and how/where would I report this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2011, 09:35 AM
    Your former employer is the owner of the facility where this request was made? Have I got that right?

I don't see a violation - he didn't get the info. I also don't know who you would report his conduct to if he owns the place.

Did he attempt to "pull rank?" Certainly. Is it a violation? I don't think so.

EDIT: Here is comprehensive information - http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/phys...questions.page. I can't find this scenario listed here.

Is the person who asked for the info a Physician?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 23, 2011, 09:38 AM
    So the owner asked for info on a patient who was also a relative. The owner was not listed as someone who you could discuss treatment with?

My response to the owner would have been, Yes I know who you are. I also know that since you are who you are, that you should know that all patient records are subject to HIPAA regulations and since you are not listed as someone who we can discuss this patient's records with, then I am unable to do so under the law.

You can report it to HIPAA if you wish. I'm not sure if just asking is a violation. But it would be a violation for him to access records he wasn't entitled to see, so just asking could be considered a violation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a hipaa violation [ 1 Answers ]

I sent a letter of patient complaint to physical therapist that included my name and condition he had treated me for. The complaint was in regards to professional misconduct. He retaliated by giving the letter of complaint to my ex-wife who gave it to her attorney to use against me in a parenting...

HIPAA Violation? [ 24 Answers ]

I am new to this site. I searched for similar situations here but cannot find anything quite like mine so here's my very long situation and question: I use a local chain superstore's pharmacy. Recently I went into the pharmacy and picked up 3 prescriptions that I had left to be filled. I did...

HIPAA Violation? [ 1 Answers ]

If a supervisor notes that an individual is on maternity leave on their timesheet, is that a HIPAA violation?

HIPAA violation [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother lives at an assistant living facility. A nurse came into the dining room and changed her medicine patch at the table. Is this a violation of the HIPAA privacy regulations?

HIPAA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of trying to have an insurance claim from a motorcyle wreck last summer taken care of by my insurance company. I was asked to send in a copy of the letter of denial from the auto insurance company so they could proceed with the claim. I sent in the letter, and received a call...

View more questions Search