Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Josep12314 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2011, 09:32 PM
    Teaching/Education
    I have a question. I am studying Business Management right now. I am in my 3rd year in a University in NJ and I am interested in teaching. Would I have to change up my major to an Education back round? Or can I just get certified to teach k-5 with my Bachelors in Business Management. Don't really understand how this works.

Thank you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 09:39 PM
    Your best solution is to visit your advisor or guidance counselor to ask about this. Usually there are some education courses that have to be taken and a state test that has to be passed so you become certified.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 22, 2011, 08:02 AM
    Contact the State Board of Ed for the state where you want to teach. Ask to have your transcript evaluated to see what you are missing for a teaching degree. A wild guess is you are alomost 2 years from qualifiying to teach k-5. You might be closer to teach business at the high school level. Or
    shoshi Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 3, 2011, 07:16 PM
    Hi Joseph, my name is Shoshi. First, congratulations on completing the first two years of college! I agree with the previous posters that the first steps would be contacting your school advisor and then contacting your state board (although you probably won't have to because your advisor should be able to give you the correct information). In the meantime, here is the link to New Jersey's Dept of Education Certification requirements for a K-5 endorsement. So, as you can see you will not be able to teach with just the bachelor's in business management. I am sure that is true of all states. But, many states will allow people to substitute teach with a bachelor's degree, so when you graduate one option might be to substitute teach to gain experience and make contacts that could help you later on, while you finish up your education degree. Here is the link: http://www.nj.gov/education/educators/license/endorsements/1001S.pdf Good luck! Shoshi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life's education or Formal Education - Which is more valuable, and why? [ 7 Answers ]

I know both are equally valuable on their own, but what if a person had to choose one or the other? I'm curious about how others view individuals that have had to make this decision.

Teaching Physical Education [ 2 Answers ]

What college courses would I need to take to be able to teach physical education?

Could you teaching me what is next ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have flow 4gal/min, area 0.7858sqin what is velocity in ft/sec? V= Q/A = (4gal/min) /0.7854sqin = V =...

Teaching isn't for me, now what? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, This is my 2nd year teaching and I'm miserable. I love "teaching," but feel I'm unable to do that because of all of the politics involved. I have a BA in Elementary Education from a N.C. university and need some direction towards another career path. I have only 5 months of this school...

Teaching [ 3 Answers ]

Which fields or careers are most welcoming to former teachers or teachers seeking to transition out of teaching?

View more questions Search