Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harpo80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Estate taxes/joint accounts
    If I set up a joint account using my ss number with my daughter, how is that taxed when I die?

If she draws a check for 50M to buy a car for herself, do I pay a gift tax on it (Minus the yearly allowance)?:) ]
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 07:43 PM
    The money is part of your estate; it just will not be probated.

Yes, because it IS considered a gift!
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 08:06 PM
    As ATE says, the value of the bank account will be included in your estate. During your life, there will be no gift unless and until your daughter withdraws cash from the account. To the extent that you gift her more than $12,000 in one year, they will be taxable gifts and a gift tax return will be due. You may also owe state gift tax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estate accounts. & tax no. [ 3 Answers ]

My brother is the exector of my aunts estate. He has a joint checking account. The aunt died. Before she died she sent in forms to sell 9 different stocks. If my brother calls the IRS for a tax no. and they give him one. Can he start putting in the stock checks in the bank and start use the money...

Estate bank accounts [ 12 Answers ]

I ‘m trying to help a love one. They need to open estate bank accounts for a late brother’s estate. They are the volunteer administrator of estate. The only thing in the brother’s estate was about $2200.00. They have withdrawn the money from his account. I was told that they need to open an estate...

Estate Accounts [ 4 Answers ]

I am the executor of my dad's estate. Due to a severe storm his home was damaged and requires extensive repairs totaling thousands of dollars. The insurance company will be sending a check to me in my dad's name. I was told that I have to open an estate account before I can use the money for the...

Estate Accounts [ 2 Answers ]

My spouse died and her bank wants to send a check to "The Estate of Blank BlanK" how does one go about opening an Estate Account?:confused:

H1B Taxes Joint Return 1099-INT [ 1 Answers ]

I have been on F-1 visa since Aug 2001, and then on F-1/OPT till Feb 2005. I converted to H-1B on Mar 1st 2005 which I still maintain. I got married Feb 2006 and my wife is also currently on H-1B. I also have some interest income (1099-INT) during 2005. 1. Do I meet the Subst. Presence Test to...

View more questions Search