Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria5113 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2011, 06:15 PM
    How to stop a horse from bucking at a canter or galope
    I have a 5 year old gelding... he is comfortable trotting long distance but it gets sickening after awhile. And every time I try to gethim to pick up the pace to a canter he refuses and tries to buck me off... what should I do?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2011, 06:23 PM
    Have you ever gotten him into a canter or gallop? If you haven't, has anyone?

Do you adjust how you sit when you (gently) kick him into a canter?

Have you talked to the vet about this?
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Jan 13, 2012, 08:05 AM
    You definitely need to have the vet--preferably a chiropractor--check him out. He could just be green and not sure how to go about getting into the canter successfully while balancing a rider. You didn't say how long he's been under saddle. I bought a horse who, at the ripe age of 16, still didn't know how to get into a canter, and what he did looked like rearing to his former owner, so she quit trying. It took a while to teach him how to strike out with one front foot instead of two! Odd, but there ya' go. And I had a horse who we foaled and broke ourselves who, at about the age of 3, decided any request for a canter was an invitation to a rodeo. It took a really strong, confident rider (not me!) to get on him and ride him through that phase.

My advice: Vet first, then a professional trainer if the vet says there's nothing wrong with his back or the fit of your saddle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help I'm scared to canter! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I've been riding for 4 weeks now but was riding at a younger age now I'm scared to canter but I love horses too much to give it up. In the past 4 weeks I'v fallen of a cob and been on a runaway pony so am pretty scared to canter got any advise for me?

Movie about a horse who jump into water. Girl horse jumper goes lind but still jumps [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for a movie where a young girl learns to jump a horse from up high into a tank of water. The girl ends up losing her sight and can't jump any more. But determined she learns to jump again with the help of a friend. What is the name of this movie?

91 honda civic bucking and hesitating [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 91 honda civic 1.5 4 speed manual with 268,000 miles. When I take off from a dead stop the car will buck and jerk sometimes very violently. And then when I shift into second it will do it again but then kind of smooths out. And when I shift into third it kind of does it again. There are...

Canter - Scared to death [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me?? I had a nasty fall about 10 weeks ago, a since then cannot get myself to canter. I`m not a pro, still learning, but have cantered in the past on casual outrides, and stayed on top. I see myself as a very novice rider, but I know I`m able to canter, just can`t get myself that...

Bucking running rough [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys it's ben awhile.my question,I have a 2002 chevy trailblazer and it spit out a po303 code #3 cylinder misfire, this truck don't have spark plug wires but it has a coil for each plug.what may cause this . Thanks

View more questions Search