Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tcurioust Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 11:48 AM
    Is it legal for an employer to make a salaried employee take vacation [more]..
    Is it legal for an employer to make a salaried employee take vacation days if they wish to get paid for a week? The company has decided to shut down for a holiday. The company says it will pay for the one government "holiday" day, but the rest no one, including salaries employees, will receive pay unless they use their vacation time. I thought that was one of the trade-offs of being salaried to make up for the many hours of "overtime" you work and don't get paid for. Please help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 10, 2011, 12:14 PM
    Do you have a contract or belong to a union with a contract?
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2011, 12:25 PM
    Additionally, where are you located? If you are in the US, and without a contract or employment agreement specifying otherwise, you do not have to be paid for a week in which you do not perform work. As your question is written, they are not requiring you to take the vacation days, they are just not going to pay you in lieu of you using them. This is a good link.

Nov 10, 2011, 12:35 PM
    Thank you both. Correct, they are not requiring you to take them unless you wish paid. I am located in Texas and do not have a contract nor belong to a union. There are no unions in my industry, at least not here. I will read over the link and appreciate your help.

Nov 10, 2011, 12:38 PM
    A little more info involving the "contract" question. There are contracted workers as well as directly hired workers. Anyone salary is a direct hire employee. The contract workers agreements are different depending upon the contract house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an employer force an employee to work while on vacation? [ 4 Answers ]

Can an employer, by law, require that an employee take the work lap top and perform job functions while on vacation? Can the employee be terminated for refusal to do so?

If a salaried employee does not have enough vacation time, can his pay be docked? [ 1 Answers ]

A salaried employee wishes to take time off (out of the office whole days). However, the employee has not accrued enough vacation time to cover the days out of the office. Because the employee is salaried, does the employer have the right to dock their pay for the time off that was not able to be...

Can a salaried employee be required to make up time they were docked for? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee. Last week I was out for 2 days dealing with kidney stones. I didn't have any accrued time to use because I used it all when I was in the hospitalized in January for the same thing. My check for the week was docked for the 2 days that I missed. Upon my return my boss told...

I am a salaried employee and if I am out sick the job wants me to make up the days? [ 1 Answers ]

I am salary employee and I take off sick from work and my employer wants me to make up these days that I was off sick. But I was under a Doctor"s care and provided a note for each days missed?

View more questions Search