Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wendy freeman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 08:17 PM
    Father passed with outstanding credit card debt
    My father passed away in December. We have come to realize he had 3 credit cards with balances totaling about $20,000. We live in Louisiana, which is a community property state. My dad did not have a will and as far as any estate, would be the townhouse he lived in with my mother. Is my mom responsible for this credit card debt? Her name is not on any of the cards. The townhouse she lives in is in her name only. If she is responsible for the debt would it be a good idea to bring these debts to a type of credit card counselor to see if they could consolidate and possibly reduce rates? Please help!
    Thanks!
    wendy freeman
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 7, 2007, 08:25 PM
    The way this works, is when a person dies, the proceeds of their estate are used to pay off any outstanding debt. If there is not enough to cover that debt that's it.

If the townhouse went to your mom as a joint tenant then it passed outside the estate. So just have her return any bills unopend marked deceased.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

I have an account that has not had any activity on it since 2/02. No payment was made on this account for about 6 months prior to that. I ran into financial difficulties because of medical reasons and had a loss of income. Recently another company has contacted me concerning this account because...

Ex-bf and his credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

I need advice. My problem involves an ex-bf and a credit card account. When I met my ex-bf, he didn't have great credit, so I agreed to open up an account to purchase a laptop for him and he would pay for the credit card. The problem is that, we broke up a few months later. He continued to make...

Help about a Credit Card Debt [ 11 Answers ]

Please advise. I am currently in South Florida I moved here after a divorce. Before moving I tried to settle my credit card debts but after two hurricanes went into a tail spin. I begged for my credit counseling agreement for 3 months, in April of this year I tried to get back on track and they...

Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi---I have six credit card balances going and recently became unemployed. The biggest amount I have is 3,300.00, with other smaller balances on the other five. The biggest one has a credit limit of 9,400.00. I was wondering if it would be good to transfer all of the smaller ones (balances) to...

Credit card debt [ 20 Answers ]

Can a credit card company clam from your house ?

View more questions Search