Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RichardAllen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Did I get ripped off?
    A "friend" of the family does work on the side. Today he came by and replaced a relay swich ($20.00 part), spent less than 10 minutes, and charged us $125.00. Does that sound right to you?? I didn't think it would be that much, and he still does work for my parents when they need it. Is this a friend or not?? Please advise. Thank you.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2007, 05:15 PM
    An electrician here (US - ND) on the average earns $25-30 dollars an hr. Now if I call the company and one comes out, I am paying about $80.00 per hour plus parts. Does not matter if the person is here 10 minutes or 60 minutes, I pay for the entire hour. Good thing this guy is "a friend" of the family. Would hate to think of what he would charge if he was not. Seriously though, I think he took advantage of your parents. Yes, he should be paid a fair wage for what he did, but it seems high. They could have hired someone else. What happens if something goes wrong - is this guy going to back up his work? Is there some sort of written agreement between them?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I being ripped off? [ 15 Answers ]

I had to call Roto Rooter because water keeps backing up into my tub and sink and toilet. They told me they couldn't find the access pipe and wanted to charge me $2,000.00 to put one in. Once they put one in, they could fix my clog. I told them "no thanks". I tried to snake the pipes, but it...

So, maybe I just got ripped off or just stupid [ 4 Answers ]

Howdy all, Just joined cause well... I have no idea what I am doing. So I bought a used fan off craigslist cause it was cheap. The family was very nice, told me the fan worked (so I am assuming it does... ) I have wired up everything that I need to, but when I flip the switch, the motor makes a...

HOT-AC Problem! Don't want to get ripped off! [ 3 Answers ]

It's been over 100 for several weeks here in Texas and I get the part that my 2500 sq ft single story house won't be a cool 72 degrees. However, in the last week it has stopped functioning the way it has for the previous 9 summers. Up to 84 or 85 degrees inside, with the unit set at 75 during the...

Am I getting ripped off? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a condominium that has a Bryant heat pump / AC. I was told today that it the compressor is toast, due to a short to ground. The gentleman told me it was either an "act of god" or due to lightning. The unit itself if 17 months old, so the compressor it covered by Bryant's warranty. ...

View more questions Search