Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Playagal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2011, 07:28 AM
    Question about support beam for load bearing wall
    We are putting a 12x24' addition on the back our our house, making a large open room that measures 22x24' (1st floor only). My contractor says we will need a support beam that will span the 24' width of the house to support the second floor and a support pole placed somewhere along that beam. He said we could do a beam only, but if we did that the beam would have to be larger and would protrude into the space more and would be more expensive.

Others I have talked to say that this is not necessarily true and there are beams (steel) that would support the room and would not be obtrusive, and that expensive. If I could get away without the support pole that would be great, but that would depend on the size of the beam and the cost.

I'm looking for some information so I can have an informed conversation with my contractor. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2011, 10:39 AM
    Without the size of the beam, it is not possible to determine if it will support your structure.

Have an engineer or architect that is certified evaluate your situation and make the recommended beam size.

Also the building dept will need drawings by an architect that would show the size.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beam size to replace load-bearing wall [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble to open up a room in my basement. It is currently a 16 ft wide wall with a single doorway in it. It is a load-bearing wall. I'd like to open up the doorway to about 10'6" width. The wall supports the floor above, and there is another...

Grade beam or load bearing wall [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the planning stage for our new house, and we're going with a permanent wood foundation. This is a full basement. I have two choices, I can go with your standard built up lumber grade beam for the house with teleposts (columns), or I can build a load bearing wall in the basement. ...

Proper sizing a beam to replace a load bearing wall [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking to remove 15' of wall between my living room and kitchen. It's the center bearing wall of a two story colonial. On the second floor are bedrooms. The existing floor joists are 2x8's 16" on center. Normal snow load, gable roof bearing on outside walls. Basically I'm supporting the floor...

Replacing a load bearing wall with an engineered beam. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a load bearing wall between two living areas that I would like to remove to create one large space. I would like to do it without the beam exposed in the area. My question is can the ceiling joists be cut and reattached to the beam using joist hangers? I understand that there would have to...

Sizing a beam to replace load bearing wall. [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning on removing 15' of a 2x6 load bearing wall in my basement and want to confirm the sizing of the steel beam. I had an engineer have a look, but the only engineer available is a semi-retired fellow who sized the beam in exchange for having a couple of beers with him in the process. ...

View more questions Search