Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ressi Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2011, 05:28 AM
    British movie from mid 20th century about a young heir being plotted against
    This is a very funny British movie possibly made in the period stretching from late 40 to early 60. The story starts in a countryside mansion when the elderly lord of the mansion and others begin to get ready for a hunt. While chasing the fox, his horse refuses to jump of a fence and hurl the elderly man flying over the fence. The old man is then transferred to his bed when he is spending the last few hours of his life. The heir to the mansion and his vast fortune is a young dashing city gentleman who has never been to the village and the rest of the family/friends are concerned that he might plan to stay there forever! They start plotting against him from the minute he comes to the village. They even create a fake ghost! To scare him off the mansion/village. The story becomes very funny and complicated and at the end finishes when a real ghost appears on the scene!

Unfortunately, I do not remember the face or name of the actors or who directed/produced it as I saw this film long ago on TV when I was a kid. For years I thought that young dashing gentleman might have been played by David Niven and I started searching under his name but with no avail. I tried Amazon, IMDb and Google websites typing movies with ''ghost/spirit'' in their title but this was not successful either.

Any one out there who might have seen this film or know the title? Many thanks in anticipation
    Quinn F Posts: 6,048, Reputation: 913
    Movies Expert

Nov 5, 2011, 07:49 AM
    Tonight's the Night
    Ressi Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2011, 10:45 AM

Fantastic! Thanks so much Quinn F.
    Interestingly, it is one of David Niven's movies as I see now. I am going to order it through AmazonUK.
    Cheers
    Rossi
    Quinn F Posts: 6,048, Reputation: 913
    Movies Expert

Nov 5, 2011, 10:46 AM
    Glad to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the stagnant employment structure in the early part of the 20th century [ 2 Answers ]

Can the stagnant employment structure in the early part of the 20th century be construed as symptomatic of deindustrialization?

Historically accurate movies about the 20th century? [ 4 Answers ]

I need a historically accurate movie about some event in the 20th century. I need to write a review on one. But I cannot think of any.

Historically accurate movies about the early 20th century aristocracy? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm putting this in History as the most important part of it is the historical accuracy... :) I'm looking for films that portray the British aristocracy of the early 20th Century - films similar to Gosford Park, Atonement, Bright Young Things etc. Ideally the films would include interaction with...

Congress vs. Presidency during the late 20th century [ 3 Answers ]

Who holds the most power and what did the presidents do during this period

View more questions Search