Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greeneptune Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2011, 12:17 PM
    Breakup advice.
    My live-in boyfriend of over a year broke up with me two months ago. I have been devastated. He claimed that he 'needed space' but was still 'in love with me.' We are both 25, he is in college, I graduated 3 years ago.

The first couple of weeks I didn't contact him about anything other than logistical stuff (our apartment, our stuff). I even deleted his phone number. Then I realized I had memorized his phone number and one night started texting him. I expected he would ignore me, I WANTED him to ignore me, so I wouldn't be tempted to do it again. But he responded. We had a short back and forth and I felt like crap afterwards, I missed him so much. But I continued to text him from time to time.

Then two weeks ago he suddenly let me in on some health issues he was having (apparently he hadn't told anyone outside his family). This really messed me up. Not only was I now concerned about his health, I also felt this false sense of intimacy that made me want him even more... After this I decided I was going to do No Contact for real now.

6 days passed and yesterday I emailed him inviting him out to an event with me. Foolish, foolish. He hasn't responded, I feel like a fool, and I'm disappointed I couldn't keep No Contact. I really want to keep NC but I'm terrified he'll forget me or something, I don't know what's holding me back from really jumping into keeping NC.

Please help with any advice!
    isabrancato Posts: 7, Reputation: 5

Nov 1, 2011, 01:48 PM
    I have soooooooo been there. It's hard. You still love him. You want to be there for him. You want things to work out in the end. In my situation it did not. I'm not saying that your hope for a relationship is going to turn out the same way, but I really think you need to walk away and heal. It's hard. You have to tell yourself not to text/call/email. You may be excited if you writes/calls, but that excitement will turn into pain when things aren't progressing. It's like opening a wound.

You really just need to be strong. Do you have a close friend you can call when you want to contact him? It's possibly if you remove yourself from the immediate impulse to contact him... you may not do it.
    greeneptune Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2011, 02:04 PM
    Thank you isabrancato. I hear what you are saying, it's the same advice I've been trying to tell myself.
    But there are these times when I get in this mind set where I don't care what the correct thing to do is. I don't care I should call a friend before contacting him when I'm convinced it's something I want to do. I get in this place where I can convince myself (without much effort) that somehow contacting him is OK. I wish I could hit my head against the wall to shake myself out of it. Part of the reason I joined this forum is so I can have an alternative to contacting him when a friend/relative isn't available. I'm trying to broaden my avenues to support. So, thank you!
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2011, 02:37 PM
    You need to be stronger, make the no contact a commitment, and keep yourself busy. GO out, meet new people, work out, run, jump, whatever. Just keep yourself busy, only way to get over a break up is allowing time to go by.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advice on post-college breakup. Struggling to cope with the breakup - Please read/hel [ 33 Answers ]

Everyone has their own story so here is mine: My ex-girlfriend and I met in college, dated for all 4 years until recently. We spent almost everyday together, she was my support and best friend. Like any couple, we had our problems, and I was her first ever relationship. I received a job offer...

Please help - breakup advice [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm 29 years old and my girlfriend of 5 years broke off our engagement of almost 1 year last night as well as ended our entire relationship and I feel downright miserable. I have been crazy about her for all of our relationship and was ready to take it beyond the dating stage. ...

Breakup Advice [ 8 Answers ]

I was with my ex for the better part of four years. She had a child when we got together, and she was coming off a divorce. She was my first relationship. We broke up after about four months together, but soon after, got back together--she told me she felt I was the love of her life, and even...

I need some advice on reversing a breakup [ 10 Answers ]

I hope you like to read, here goes... I was with this breathtakingly beautiful, fun and amazingly intelligent girl for almost a year… She is the most incredible girl I have ever met in my life. She is 18 and I am 26, yet age never seemed to be an issue (except for her parents whom she felt...

View more questions Search