Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bubbiewas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2011, 12:56 AM
    Exchanging 115 volts to 220?
    I have a Thermaderm Epilator which says on the back: Frequency 13,560 megacycles AC only 115 Volts 60 Cycles 50 Watts FCC type Approval I need to obtain a transformer to use this Epilator in a 220 outlet. Can you tell me what size transformer I need?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Nov 1, 2011, 06:58 AM
    If you're only trying to reduce the voltage, you simply need a simple step-up/step-down transformer that can handle 50 watts. There are countless places to buy such a transformer. Here, for example, is one of hundreds sold by Amazon.

That being said, notice that it says "60 cycles" on the back. Depending what country you're in, your electrical supply may be 50 cycles, not 60 cycles. A transformer will not be able to change that.

Nov 2, 2011, 12:08 AM
    I'm living in Israel and the epilator is from the United States. I don't know where to go to ask someone here and thought you might help. I don't want to reduce the voltage, I want to use the epilator which is 115 volts here in Israel where all the outlets are 220 volts. I don't know where to go to ask about the cycles, either... that's why I contacted you. Where else can I go for help?

Nov 2, 2011, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbiewas View Post
    I'm living in Israel and the epilator is from the United States. I don't know where to go to ask someone here and thought you might help. I don't want to reduce the voltage, I want to use the epilator which is 115 volts here in Israel where all the outlets are 220 volts. I don't know where to go to ask about the cycles, either... that's why I contacted you. Where else can I go for help?
    Well, according to this site, Israel uses 230V, 50Hz (Hz is short for Hertz, which is the same as "cycles"). Your epilator is specified at 60Hz, so technically it's not designed to work in your country, even if you use a step-down transformer to get the voltage to 115V.

However, that being said, in my opinion it's very likely the epilator will still work just fine in your 50Hz system. The electronics within almost certainly operate using DC (direct current), which means that's there's built-in circuitry to convert the AC (alternating current) from the wall plug into DC. Changing from 60Hz to 50Hz should have very little impact on this AC-DC conversion circuit; it should still continue to produce clean DC power to power the rest of the electronics.

Therefore, if I was you, I'd just buy a simple step-down voltage converter like they sell in travel stores (the same kind of little box that Americans would use when traveling to Israel if they wanted to use their razor or hair dryer). Here's an example: VoltageConverters.com - Travel Converter 50-1600 Watt
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 2, 2011, 09:20 AM
    You will probably find the epilator's motor turns more slowly, due to the change from 60Hz to 50 Hz current. Same thing happens with things like hair dryers and electric razors. In general these types of appliances that are designed for 60 Hz still work fine at 50 Hz, even if they do operate a little slower. I suggest that you do as JCaron2 suggested - get a small transformer and see if the epilator works.

Nov 2, 2011, 10:36 AM
    Given the 13.56MHz frequency specification, I'm guessing this is a thermolytic epilator, not a mechanical, motor-driven one. In that case, the oscillator and amplifier circuitry will almost certainly be DC and should be relatively immune to a ~17% change in the AC supply frequency.

Nov 2, 2011, 12:08 PM
    In answer to ebaines answer: I really have not idea what jcaron2 said in the answer... it's "Greek" to me, as they say. But I think what you've said is to get a small transformer and try it and see if it works. What is a small transformer? Don't I need a specific size? I can't just go into a store and ask for a "small transformer" Can I "blow" or damage my epilator by "trying" it with a transformer which is too small or too large? And, If I try it on myself is there the possibility of getting shocked or worse if the transformer is too small or too large? I have a transformer now which I use for my Kenmore portable sewing machine and it says on it: NF-300 foreign electricity transformer 120 VA input,AC 220V 50/60Hz output:AC 110V THERMAL FUSE PROTECTION made in China CE by SAKAL ELECTRONICS Should I try to use this?

Nov 2, 2011, 12:44 PM
    Bubbiewas, that's great! Your sewing machine transformer should work perfectly for your epilator.

You don't need to worry about damaging the epilator or shocking yourself. The one you have is just the right size. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall mount A/C, 110 volts vs 220 volts? [ 9 Answers ]

I live an an 580sq ft apartment, & I know some of the other tenants have 220 volt A/C, & some have 110 volt A/C. Which is better & Why?? :confused:

What is the difference between 110 volts and 115 Volts? [ 5 Answers ]

What is the difference between 110 volts and 115 Volts?

Is equipment cheaper to run on 480 VOLTS OR 220 VOLTS 3 phase [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 refrigeration compressors. One 5 h.p. 480 volts, 3 phase @ 4.5 amps. One 5 h.p. 230 volts 3 phase @ 20 amps. Which one will cost less to run assuming electric costs are same?

How to Convert Any Appliances from 220 Volts to 110 Volts [ 2 Answers ]

How to convert appliances like irons, fans and other appliances from 220 volts to 110?

220 volts to 120 volts [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have a 220 volt/30 amp service to an electric washer/dryer combination. The washer/dryer broke down and I will be switching to individual units each requiring a 120 volt/15-20 amp supply suggesting a separate circuit. The current unit had a four wire configuration (2 hot -...

View more questions Search