Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lola555 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2011, 06:02 AM
    Writing checks on a closed account
    If I wrote checks on closed account (my dog was very sick and I could not afford to pay $600.00 to vet clinic operation services and $200 for her medication , but I had to save her life) What is the punishment for this in Washington state

Yes. I wrote a few checks to the Veterinary clinic from the closed account and the manager called the police. The police officer came to my place with those checks and made the report. He gave me a case #. What kind of charges should I expect? Can they put warrant to my arrest (before the court day) if amount is about one thousand dollars?
    What is the worst the punishment can be in Washington state?

If my friend wrote checks from the closed account for total amount of 3,000.00 or more can he be arrested before the court date (in and be bailed)? Wll it be helpful if all the money is paid back before the court?Sorry for possible mistakes . English is my second language
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2011, 06:11 AM
    Civil - Lesser of amount of check or interest at 12%, and cost of collection not to exceed $40. If court action necessary after 15 days, lesser of reasonable attorneys' fees and treble face of check or $100.
    Criminal - Misdemeanor - full restitution; the defendant need not be imprisoned, but the court shall impose a minimum fine of $500. Of the fine imposed, at least $50 shall not be suspended or deferred. Upon conviction for a second offense within any twelve-month period, the court may suspend or defer only that portion of the fine which is in excess of $500. Felony - Up to one year in jail or up to $1,000 fine, or both.

Bad Check Laws by States-Civil & Criminal Penalties
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 23, 2011, 06:22 AM
    It depends on how the vet wants to charge you and how the judge feels about your willingness to make amends.
    I'm sorry that you feel you have a right to defraud a vet to save your pet. A loving pet owner has a cushion of savings for emergencies, and lives on bread and water if it gets used to pay for another vital necessity. Of which there are 2, housing and heat.
    Of course you have contacted the vet about working out a payment plan, right?
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2011, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    It depends on how the vet wants to charge you and how the judge feels about your willingness to make amends.
    I'm sorry that you feel you have a right to defraud a vet to save your pet. A loving pet owner has a cushion of savings for emergencies, and lives on bread and water if it gets used to pay for another vital necessity. Of which there are 2, housing and heat.
    Of course you have contacted the vet about working out a payment plan, right?

One slight correction, Joy - the Vet doesn't decide how she will be charged. The DA (or Assistant DA) makes that decision. The Vet reports it, the Police take the report, the "system" steps in.

The law is what it is. I don't see that the judge has a lot of leaway. (Of course, I've seen strange decisions handed down from the bench - so who knows!)

And wonderful points about being a pet owner. I once BEGGED a Vet to allow me to make payments and then got a second job typing transcripts in order to pay him back. Dog lived for another 10 years.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 23, 2011, 07:25 AM
    If you do not make some agreement that they accept they can sue you in civil court. But they may also turn it into the police or the DA to press criminal charges.

And the court will even look at this harder than just a nomal "bad" check since it was not a matter of a mistake on how much money was in the account, but an issue that you knew there was no money and there was not even an account.
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2011, 07:52 AM
    Did you read what I posted? I covered this.

No, there will be no warrant unless/until you don't show up for Court. You were given a ticket instead of being taken off to jail. The ticket is your promise that you will appear in Court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 23, 2011, 08:18 AM
    No you will have to appear in court, there should not be a warrant ( unless you don't appear)

You can end up gong to jail if you get a max. Most likely you will get a large fine, be put on probation and required pay back all the money. You may also have other requirements such as no checking accout or other issue
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2011, 08:26 AM
    It's a felony in Washington when the amount is $750 and above: "Felony - Up to one year in jail or up to $1,000 fine, or both."
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2011, 05:48 AM
    Has a court date been set? If so, is it civil or criminal?

Your friend certainly has the option of offering the victims restitution prior to a court date. Your friend should do that to avoid a criminal record, additional costs and additional heartache.

Hopefully you will share this information with your friend, and also remind him that stealing from people by writing checks on a closed account is a crime that is punishable by time in prison.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2011, 05:51 AM
    Lola, your 3 questions have been merged into this one thread. I was not aware of the fact that you posted your question 3 times before I gave my response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will a closed case show up on background check [ 1 Answers ]

If a person was arrested, then charged, but attorney convinced prosecutor to agree to SIS with community service. The probation is now completed and the case was closed. Will it show up on a background check for medical school?

Writing a check on a closed account to MYSELF? [ 11 Answers ]

Ok, I know this sounds really bad and dishonest. But a couple of times, I have written a couple checks to my OPEN account to myself from an old CLOSED account (I still had the checkbook after I closed it) to avoid overdraft fees. For example, I have $50 in my account, I don't get paid for 2 more...

Check written on a closed account [ 6 Answers ]

I am a professional organizer in the state of Ga. I did work for a woman on Aug. 16th. It is my policy to collect pmt. On the day of services. She was not at home when I needed to leave, but I was to come back the next morning to complete the job, and thought I'd collect then. But, on the...

Check written on a closed acct. [ 3 Answers ]

My brother and his wife of 24 years have been separated for approx. 3 months. They had a joint checking acct with his name as the primary acct holder. He has closed the acct and she has the checks in her possession and is writing checks from this account. Do you have any advice I could share...

Child support closed out my case, but still took out money from my check [ 3 Answers ]

My child support case has been closed, but they're still taking money from my disability check. Does that money come back to me?

View more questions Search