Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boylovell Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2011, 12:25 PM
    Leaving ghana
    Is there such a thing as basic travelling allowance for someone leaving ghana for the very first time ?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2011, 12:29 PM
    Were you told a certain amount of money is needed?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 20, 2011, 12:38 PM
    Hello,

It appears you have been caught up in the most famous scam of all time. It is so well known and so famous it was even on the Oprah Show.

First no there is no requirement for money in a bank account before you leave Ghana.

Next and I hope you did not send any money, but the passport and the visa is only about 300 US dollars total for both.

This is how the scam works,

They find you on email, or a dating site, they are wanting to leave the Ghana ( for different reasons) sometimes even claim to be citizens of other countries.

They then fall in love with you and will live with you forever. And of course they send very sexy photos of beautiful people. ( it works for male or female, gay or straight)

After that point they talk you into helping them move.
    They then will often ask for 1000 to 3000 for the passport or visa.

After that, they "find out" they need 1000 to 10,000 dollars in the bank and of course as soon as they get to the US they promise to give it back to you.

Of course at some point, during that, time, normally they get robbed, or sick or hurt and need more money.

Then they want money for the plane ticket.

Most people that fall for the scam often send 10,000 to 20,000 to find out the person does not ever come.

In fact they normally don't even exist, often it is a 60 year old grandma or a group of people who share information and work shifts.

There is no friend in Ghana, there is no one coming, this is a scam
    boylovell Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2011, 11:58 PM
    Yes I was told because this person doesent have a bank account to send the money through moneygram then immigration in ghana will take her to bank to get a bankers draft and I will gwt that money back when she is over here
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 21, 2011, 12:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by boylovell View Post
    Yes i was told because this person doesent have a bank account to send the money through moneygram then imigration in ghana will take her to bank to get a bankers draft and i will gwt that money back when she is over here
    You won't get any money back. In fact, she will continue to ask for more and more money. You will get poor and she will get rich and you will never even meet her.

It's a scam. Don't send the money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Declaration fee for second time leaving Ghana [ 2 Answers ]

I California, and I have a lady friend who want me to help her with her Declaration fee to travel out of Ghana $7000.00 dollar is this true?

Declarations for leaving Ghana [ 2 Answers ]

Is There A Declaration Fee upon leaving Ghana?

What is the price of a visa and passport for a person leaving newtown ghana? [ 4 Answers ]

How much money would it cost one person to leave newtown ghana to come to seatac airport to visit?

Does person leaving in ghana and has american passport have to pay decaration to leav [ 2 Answers ]

Does person who live in ghana that has american passport have to pay decaration to leave ghana and if so how much and what law

View more questions Search