Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    claireb73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2011, 10:01 PM
    Legal rights of step children?
    I'm a home owner and have had a mortgage alone for 20 yrs. 11 yrs ago I made a will leaving all my property and assets to my biological daughter. For the past 10 yrs I have lived with my partner but have continued to pay my mortgage alone and mortgage remains in my name only. We are due to marry next year and my partner has 4 grown up children.thouugh I love them dearly I wondered if anyone could advise me regarding this matter as I worry that if I was to die though I would be happy to provide some money for each of them I don't want my own biological daughter to miss out on what I have always considered to be her inheritance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2011, 03:39 AM
    ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

I would suggest that you consult a local attorney to prepare both a prenup and make sure your will is ironclad.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 19, 2011, 05:20 AM
    Agreed, his rights to joint property differs greatly on where you are at. How the property is deeded and so much more.
    You will need a good attorney at this point to work out the details before you get married. To ensure it happens according to your wishes
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 19, 2011, 05:58 AM
    As others have said, you need to update your will upon your marriage. Your husband could, if you die before him, possibly have the will disallowed if if doesn't specifically provide for him. And, absent the will, he would have a substantial share in your estate. His children, on the other hand, would usually inherit nothing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step children rights [ 3 Answers ]

Father of 2 remarried a women which became their step mother. Father dieds 5 years ago then. Then step mother dies leaving no will. Are the 2 people entilted to any of the step mothers estate?

Do step-children have legal rights to step-fathers estate with no will [ 25 Answers ]

My father married a woman with 4 grown children and they were married for 29 years. She died in Jan of 2008 with no will. He passed away in October of 2008. He also left no will. There are 2 children of lineal descent from my dad, me and his son. Now these 'children' have taken us to court saying...

What rights do step parents have with minor children? [ 3 Answers ]

My brother has sole custody of his 2 children, their mother is in the wind, but never signed off parental rights. My brother is married to wife #6 and they just had a baby. They have been living in our home for the past 4 months and my brother accepted a security job in Afghanistan. My brother...

Rights of step children [ 1 Answers ]

My father is stubborn and won't wright a will, he feels he doesn't have too.He stated that when he passes he wants his granddaughter (my daughter) to have his home and belongings. His wife(my step mother) has alzheimers and has 3 grown children from prior marriages. I am an only child ( my mother...

What legal rights would I have on my step son? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my husband has a 14 year old son, right now he is in the custody of his grandmother (my husband's mother). Both the kid's mother and my husband want custody of the kid. If my husband gets full custody of his son, me as his wife, what rights would I have on the kid? He is my step son, would I...

View more questions Search