Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgshk Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2011, 06:48 AM
    What are signs that a gas furnace needs to be replaced even though it is working fine
    I was told that I should probably get a new gas furnace because (I quote from service ticket): "Upon inspecting operations found flame becoming erratic when blower comes on. Used inspection mirror and searched as far as it could reach. I noticed significant rusting and what appeared to be pitting or small pin holes. Recommend replace furnace and/or entire system!" The furnace seems to be working fine. It is an older Trane (maybe 25 years),
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 18, 2011, 07:13 AM
    Cracks or deep pits in the heat exchanger are a big sign to replace, this could release raw carbon monoxide into your how. The erratic flame by itself is a concern but not a huge one. It will get worse and is inefficient, can produce more dangerous fumes.
    JonesHVAC Posts: 173, Reputation: 12

Oct 18, 2011, 01:00 PM
    The erratic flame is a sign of a crack in the exchanger as well. Being that the furnace is 25+ years old it has definitely lasted its lifetime. I would strongly urge you to replace the furnace. The crack in the exchanger will open wider each time the furnace fires due to heat expansion and contraction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2011, 01:05 PM
    I will agree, just the statement it is 25 years old, sort of stops me there. Newer models will run better and be a good cost savings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a linea 28 gas boiler ,the hot water is working fine but when I switch it over [ 0 Answers ]

To the ch it won't come on the boiler is making noise that it is working but the rads are not getting hot, does anyone have a solution please thanks.

Gas furnace not blowing hot air but blower is working fine. I have an Aire-flo AF80 [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Aire-flo model AF80 forced air furnace that is not putting out any heat. The blower is working fine. I have tried the circuit breaker and replacing the thermostat but neither seems to work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Dual fuel rheem furnace not working, defrost control board replaced still not working [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, I have a Rheem furnace and is only one year old. Recently my furnace didn't come on so I had someone come out and look at it and it turns out it was the defrost board on the heat pump that was bad. I replaced the board with a new one and turned the system on and it worked on heat and...

Gas dryer kenmore ignitor replaced and not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore gas dryer which the ignitor is not working. The drum turns, but the ignitor does not warm up. I replaced the ignitor which did not solve the problem. What should be checked next?

View more questions Search