Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vplogan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 12:13 PM
    Info on Ayusa global exchange program?
    We are thinking of sending our high school student to Italy through AYUSA. I am concerned about the volumes of scary stories I'm hearing, and I wonder if you know anything about this company in particular.
    Dgrijalva Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 10:23 PM
    It is imperative your child be as safe as possible while studying abroad. Perhaps visit Tips for Parents on the website of the Committee for Safety of Foreign Exchange Students www.csfes.org. Be safe!
    Ayusa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2011, 11:15 AM
    Ayusa is a leading non-profit organization promoting global learning and leadership through foreign exchange programs and study abroad opportunities. We are a US Department of State designated Exchange Visitor Program Sponsor, a founding member of the Council on Standards for International Educational Travel (CSIET), and we have been given Full Listing with CSIET for 25 consecutive years. Since 1980, AYUSA has been a leader in providing a wide range of life-changing cultural exchange experiences, and Ayusa today maintains a proud legacy of offering high-quality programs for high school students. Our vision is a future where nations and people recognize their similarities and accept their differences. Ayusa's programs cater to a variety of participants while sharing the common mission of creating the next generation of global leaders and world citizens. Our mission is being realized each day as our exchange students have authentic interactions with the people they encounter in their daily lives. These connections create a “ripple effect” of international understanding and have the power to change the worldview of not just the exchange student, but those in their community as well.

While nothing is “totally safe”, and any type of travel (even running errands in your hometown!) has some inherent risks involved, Ayusa's number one priority is the safety of our students and we have a number of safeguards in place to ensure the well-being of our participants.

Our 25+ years of being fully listed with the Council on Standards for International Educational Travel is just one testament to our excellent and longstanding safety record. Ayusa staff closely monitor world events and US Department of State (DOS) travel warnings and alerts to ensure that we are sending students to parts of the world where we feel they will be safe and supported, and we also strongly encourage our students to register with the DOS through their Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). International health insurance is included in our tuition, host families are carefully screened by local staff before being matched with their student, and local representatives of our company regularly check in with our students throughout the duration of their program to ensure their well-being. We also have a 24/7 emergency hotline that students and parents can call for after-hours emergency assistance.

Ayusa's preparation processes is probably the biggest testament to our focus on safety. In addition to our in-depth phone interview which jump-starts the learning process, Ayusa students have thorough orientations before leaving the US and upon arriving in their host country. All Ayusa students also take an online course developed by Layola Marymount University designed to help them prepare for the challenges of studying abroad and take advantage of the opportunities presented by this experience – this course also includes safety tips and advice. Our student guidebook also has safety tips for the entire family to review.

Ayusa's program advisors would be happy to discuss our programs and your concerns in more detail, as well as put you in touch with some of our student and parent alumni so you can learn more about the program from someone who has actually done it. Please contact us at 1-800-579-1709 or email [email protected].
    Dgrijalva Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2011, 12:03 PM
    So, the question is, "I wonder if you know anything about this company in particular." The answer by 'AYUSA' pretty much covers the basic information about the company, however, if you put away the pom-pom's and begin to ask the hard-hitting questions you should ask prior to sending your child abroad, you will ask: 1) Does the placement agency perform full, fingerprint, criminal background checks on host families and those members living the home over 18 years of age? 2) Has this agency ever been responsible for placing a student in the home of a registered sex offender or convicted felon? 3) Is this the agency responsbile for placing a female exchange student from Germany in the home of Timothy Jordan in Texas wherein she was allegedly raped? 4) Is it true the very representatives responsible for that placement are still actively employed by the very same agency, allowing them to continue to supervise exchange students? 5) How old is your child? 6) Do you intend for them to study abroad three weeks, five months for a full, academic year? 7) How are you going to react when you are told that you are not to talk with your child for at least two to three weeks upon his/her arrival abroad, because you will interfere with your child's ability to adapt in a new country?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone know any negative or positive info on Global Stars Network Talent Agency [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to get some background info on Global Stars Network Talent Agency / Cruises. I'm not very good at computer research. Any suggestions on any site to go to that you don't have to pay to get accurate info?

How to program global digital timer [ 0 Answers ]

Just has a photo cell and one button 0 - 8

Student Exchange Program Scholarship [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.I'm planning to apply this scholarship for a student exchange program.It's the YES scholarship and it is a merit based scholarship awarded to outstanding students who obtain good grades and show a strong interest in the USA.However,there are only 40 of them. So,these are the criteria that I...

Free Link Exchange Program [ 1 Answers ]

I am new to online retailing:confused: .Do you know of any free link exchange programs? I need to get the word out about my web site. Thanks in advance Fred

View more questions Search