Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NJPIRRO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 05:25 AM
    Grandparents raising a daughter I didn't know I had until yesterday, what now?
    I was surprised to find out yesterday that I'm the father of a beautiful daughter. I live in NJ, my cild is in TX. The "mother" was deemed a drug addict unfit to parent her, so the grand parents took her. Her name is Jaide and she is 8 yrs old, and she doesn't know I exist... What steps do I take? I want to do this correctly and inevitably take on full custody. I am engaged with 2 sons (6 &4) and I don't know where to go from here but am willing to fight. I need direction on how to begin the process. Help would be appreciated
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2011, 07:06 AM
    You would have to go to Court in the proper jurisdiction (Texas, the residence of the child) and request paternity testing. After DNA proves you are the father you would proceed with a motion to obtain custody.

How did you learn about the child?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 16, 2011, 12:06 PM
    I suggest that you make contact with the grandparents, introduce yourself, and politely inform them that you would like to establish a relationship with the child. It would be far better if you can do this in a friendly fashion, because I don't see you being able to force the issue.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 16, 2011, 12:18 PM
    The first question is how did you find this out? That will dictate your next step. The next question is how did the grandparents get custody? Through a court? Do they have guardianship, custody, did they adopt?

Without knowing the answer to those questions, its hard to advise what your next steps should be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My daughter allowed to move in with grandparents without me being notified [ 3 Answers ]

My ex wife and I went to court a couple of years ago.. We did have joint custody they took that away from me. I was to have web visitation, none of that has happened and she let her drop out of school at 14 and enrolled her in an alternative school without notifying me. Our judgment states she is...

Grandparents getting temporary custody of grand daughter [ 4 Answers ]

A year ago yesterday my step daughter brought our first grandchild into our family. In that time she has lived in 5 different homes (with friends, boyfriends & their families, etc). She does not work, has no means of supporting herself or the baby and she doesn't do the best at taking care of the...

Father paying child support to mother when daughter lives with dad's grandparents [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I don't know what to do he has a 15 year old daughter who lives with my husband's parents, she been living with them since 1994 when child services gave temporary custody to my husbands mom until the mom felt ready to get custody back. My husband didn't have the custody because he...

View more questions Search