Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    em.danielle1144 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2011, 04:50 PM
    How would the general ledger entry look for received cash from clients on account
    In the amount of 12100. I have about 5 questions like that and the beginning balance for accounts payable (in the general ledger) is 7500 and with the other transactions it was looking okay but it this one is a credit then my account will be negative.
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2011, 05:08 PM
    Accounts Payable will have a normal credit balance. When you purchase something on account you will credit the account balance, which will increase the account balance, while a payment on account will be a debit to your balance, which will decrease your account balance.

Accounts Receivable will have a normal debit balance, which means that when a customer purchases something from you on account you will debit your account balance, which increases your account balance. When a customer makes a payment on his or her account this you credit the account, which will decrease your account balance.

Oct 15, 2011, 05:28 PM
    So I can have a negative amount in my general ledger?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2011, 09:21 PM
    No, you will only have debits and credits with either a debit balance or a credit balance.

Oct 16, 2011, 03:57 PM
    So what if I added and subtracted and got a negative number that doesn't mean anything?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received cash from clients on account, $1,500 [ 17 Answers ]

What is the journal entry for this... Received cash from clients on account, $1,500

The reversing entry in the general journal and posting it to the general ledger [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I need to know How I can post reversing etry in to the general ledger ? For example if I have The business last paid a water bill in May, which was for 3 months of water expense up to the end of April. The additional accrual entry for water expense for the last two months is $2,290. And I...

Correct general ledger entry for a garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

We have received a garnishment for one of our employees. What is the correct general ledger entry to record this and pay it.

General ledger entry [ 5 Answers ]

The transaction is: Pays Green Jacket Co. on account. What 2 ledgers would I use?

General ledger entry [ 3 Answers ]

I am needing to show a general journal entry for the following items: Owner investment $7500 case Owner investment of equipment $32500.00 Prepaid insurance for 24 months $3000.00 Office Supplies $1400 Fees Earned $2560.00 Utilities $875.00

View more questions Search