Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elcraig Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Condensation on new roof
    I have a 1 story ranch home in Birmingham, Alabama for which I just had the roofing replaced. I had the old shingles removed and replaced with more asphalt shingles. Before installation, I had two whirligigs on the roof for ventilation. I had those removed and replaced with 42 feet "shingle over ridge ventilator". At the same time, they did replace some other piping on top of the house with similar piping. One of those pipes has air coming out of it, resulting in a steam-like exhaust in this cold weather. For almost every day since the project ended, we have noticed some water trickling down (on top of the shingles) from this particular pipe. Is this a problem? What is the cause? Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Are the other pipes a furnace or hot water tank vent? If so, you could be getting more condensation because you have better attic venation. It could also be because they slipped in single wall pipe in place of double wall. Check you furnace and hot water heater and make sure condensate isn't making it back to them.
    elcraig Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Are you saying that a small amount of water trickling down from the pipe on a regular basis is not a problem if condensation is not evident around the water heater or furnace?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2007, 09:28 AM
    No a little water on the roof isn't going to hurt. Now, if there is also water condensing inside a galvanized vent pipe, that is bad. Heating condensate tends to have nasty acids in it that will eventually eat through galvanized. Then you could have deadly combustion fumes leaking into the house. You need to look things over carefully, and if you aren't sure, have a HVAC pro look at it. If the pipes are white plastic, then they are designed to resist condensate.

If this is temporary and will only happen in the very coldest weather, you may not have much to worry about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

Condensation [ 1 Answers ]

Why there is a lot of condensation on my duct in my basement is due to low air flow or too much air flow? What can I do to solve this problem?

Condensation on roof [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased a cape style home in August from my family built by my grandfarther. Well When I had it inspected, we had mold. So I ripped off the roof and put a new one on, (no Mold). Well, last week I notice water stains on my first floor ceiling and window frames. I did some research and I...

Bathroom condensation [ 2 Answers ]

Need help in the summer time when it is hot my bathroon ceiling and walls sweat or some sort of condensation ,the bath room shower is not being used ,there is a fan in the ceiling but it does not fit tight against the s ceiling could I be getting hot air from the attic hitting the cool air...

Bathroom condensation [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure what is happening in my bathroom. Please help me figure this out. After taking a warm shower we notice that there was drips of water coming from the cielings exhaust fan. Upon further inspection (removing the cover,removing the insulation from the attic where the fan is,noticing for...

View more questions Search