Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LSpliff Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Getting Evicted
    Here's the situation. There's a 1 year lease with 9 months remaining. The property was sold and you have 3 weeks to get out because the new landowner is demo'ing the house. Can this legally happen? Their lawyers say there is no lease with the new landowners so be lucky you have 3 weeks to get out. Can anyone help out on this?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Hello L:

The lawyers are WRONG. The new owner inherits your lease. Tell them that in a letter. Send it certified, return receipt requested. Welcome them to the neighborhood, and by the way, what address should you send the rent to.

excon

Feb 5, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Thanks... I'm in NJ. Do you know if that is the case here too?
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Hello again, L:

It's the case everywhere.

excon

PS> Of course, you could tell them that you're willing to be bought out of your lease, and you'll entertain any offer they might make.

Feb 5, 2007, 02:09 PM
    One final question... what about if the lease says it's non transferrable?
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Hello again:

The law says it is.

excon
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 5, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LSpliff
    Here's the situation. There's a 1 year lease with 9 months remaining. The property was sold and you have 3 weeks to get out because the new landowner is demo'ing the house. Can this legally happen? Their lawyers say there is no lease with the new landowners so be lucky you have 3 weeks to get out. Can anyone help out on this?
    The new landlord inherits the lease and is obligated to follow it for the term of the lease. However, the new owner is demolishing the house. Why? Is there any chance that for one reason or another the house has been condemned or this is an eminent domain? Do we have all the facts?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get my things after being evicted? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is Christine, my sister was evicted with 3 small children. Her lanlord was a scum lord and he got away with a lot of money from her because my sister believed him. . She is now out of the place but has to get her things how does she go about this?

Being evicted [ 3 Answers ]

I have been a tenant for about 6 years. The first year was with a contract and the rest was a month to month basis. The landlord, after six years, wants to evict me. He sent a written paper giving me a two months notice. I told him that I would leave, but I would need some time. I told him that...

Being evicted but I paid rent [ 2 Answers ]

My lanlord is taking me to court to evicte me for August rent but she filled the eviction papers on July 19th. I'm wondering if she is able to do that. I paid all of julys rent but late and also paid the late fee, today when I got the eviction papers they are for 400 dollars more than my rent even...

Adult Child evicted from home? [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone know how, in GA, to be sure you can evict your 18-year old drug abusing adult son? I am told that merely telling him to leave (done) and changing the locks (done) is not sufficient. Thanks.

How long until I get evicted [ 2 Answers ]

For the last 3 years I have lived and paid for the house I'm living in, the house is in my dad's name (he has never paid a dime for anything on the house), this last week we have had a falling out, he demands that I get the house out of his name or move within 30 days. My problem with putting the...

View more questions Search