Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csfolds Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 04:50 PM
    100 amp service entry wire replaced, any panel or meter base codes
    If replacing the service wire that has exposed wires, is there a requirement to do any upgrades regarding panel or meter base?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 9, 2011, 05:12 PM
    No, not on a national level. Maybe on a local level, but I doubt it.
    As long as the other equipment is in good shape.

Oct 9, 2011, 05:33 PM
    Electrical questions
    Inspector has been on site will I be required to get a permit? No power at the house until fixed. Also something about copper wire spliced to alum?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 9, 2011, 05:50 PM
    Yes, you need a permit. Usually you obtain a permit prior to starting any work. This way, the Local Authority Having Jurisdiction can approve the plans that you submit with your permit application.

Because of the chemical contents of Aluminium vs Copper and the effect that air has in causing corrosion, these two dissimilar metals cannot be joined together without proper connection processes.

What Aluminium wiring are you trying to connect to Copper?

If you have Aluminium wiring within the residence you will have to either have a very costly procedure (Coplaum) done to fuse the Aluminum conductor within the Copper conductor.

The alternative is to purchase an Antioxidant Compound and apply it to each connection where Aluminium is being connected directly to a Copper conductor. You can also use Ideal's Aluminium to Copper wire nuts which have the Antioxidant inside of the wire nut.

At the device boxes, all receptacles, switches must be listed for use with Aluminium conductor or bare the name CO/ALR with is listed for use with either Copper or Aluminium.

If you fail to do this, you will fail every inspection. Also, you will be creating a very serious fire risk.

What happens, is the over time the Aluminium and Copper react to each other causing loose connections. Loose connections cause heat and arching. Heat and Arching cause fires.

Oct 9, 2011, 06:01 PM
    Here in Virginia, the Power Company requires that you obtain a permit prior to doing the work.

They also require notice so that they can kill the service feed to the property prior to any work being done.

The PoCo here will not return to energise the residence unless they receive a proof of inspection.

Also, in this area, the PoCo requires that all older meter bases be replaced with a meter base capable of 200 Amps. These meter bases are supplied by the PoCo, but you are required to have the installation done.

Homeowners here are allowed to do the work on their residences only. Rental property and commercial property have to be done by a licensed electrician, this included all multi family residences.

Oct 9, 2011, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by csfolds View Post
    Inspector has been on site will I be required to get a permit? No power at the house until fixed. Also something about copper wire spliced to alum?
    Maybe you can elaborate?

What "inspector"?
    What site?
    A permit for what?
    Why is there no power?
    "Something" about CU to AL splice? OK, what something?

I guess Don's crystal ball is working better than mine tonight. :D

Oct 9, 2011, 06:06 PM
    Electrical help
    The splice was existing. Not traced it out yet. I am sure that it is not done correct. Will I be able to obtain the permit as homeowner or does this call for a lic

Oct 9, 2011, 06:07 PM
    No need to start a new thread. Just reply in the same thread you already started.

Oct 9, 2011, 06:27 PM
    New on here sorry

Oct 9, 2011, 06:32 PM
    Np.

Oct 9, 2011, 06:40 PM
    Whether the homeowner can obtain the permit can only be answered by the Authority Having Jurisdiction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 9, 2011, 06:56 PM
    I have merged the various threads, I hope it all makes sense now

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Updating service panel to 200 amp with feeder to 100 amp panel in old house [ 8 Answers ]

I currently in the process of converting 1000 sq ft of attached garage into living space while doing this we are updating electrical service to 200 amp new service, there is 100 amp service in the old part of the house which will remain but need to be sub paneled from the new 200 amp service. I...

Overhead from a 100 amp service panel to a 100 amp subpanel in a garage. [ 6 Answers ]

An Electrician friend said I could use #4 copper for the (2)120 volt legs and a conventional Suspension wire as the nuetral. The overhead span is about 35 feet and the overall run From panel to panel is about 70 feet.The supply outlet said to use #2 copper. Also, what type wire for sunlight...

100 amp main, 100 amp service wire, 200 amp sub panel? [ 2 Answers ]

I am moving my sub panel and upgrading to a 200 amp service, but in phases. The first phase is to move the panel due to some remodeling. I want to put a 200 amp panel in the laundry room with a 200 amp breaker. I have 100 amp feeder wire going to it (AL 2/2/2). Outside I have the meter can and...

Wire UF wire to run to new 100 amp service panel? [ 10 Answers ]

My house has a 200 amp service. I have a new 30x40 building in back. I have a 100amp Square D load center for the building. I want to run a line from the house to power the building. Big items include, air comp 30 amps, welder 50 amps, other raidial arm saw, ban saw pipe saw 15-20 amps? It is...

Running 2 100 amp breaker boxes on 200 amp meter base [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 100 amp breaker boxes,but the meter base is 100 amp.Wanting to put 200 amp metet service with disconnect box.Can some one tell me if this is possible.and how you would connect the 2 breaker boxes to the disconnect box.Thank you

View more questions Search