Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronny943 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2011, 07:28 PM
    Is there any case law on improper service of paternity action on federal inmates?
    A woman filed two separate paternity petitions naming two men as the father of a minor child. Child support services said that they served one of the respondents. He is saying the documents were improperly served. He never received the documents. He was in Federal prison

Is there a special process for federal inmates?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 7, 2011, 07:31 PM
    Claiming non service is just a delaying tactic. But I would think it is very easy to serve an inmate.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2011, 08:03 PM
    They need to be served via the US Marshals Office. Check with them.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 8, 2011, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny943 View Post
    A woman filed two separate paternity petitions naming two men as the father of a minor child. ...
    He might think about getting his case dismissed because she filed two separate petitions. In each she must have claimed that the respondent is the father, yet the fact that she filed another petition would be evidence that she doesn't know. I see the potential here of two inconsistent decrees, each establishing a different father.

And as to the question in the title, no, it is very doubtful that such case law exists. For case law, there has to be an appeal, and I would be surprised if such a case has ever gone to the appeal level.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2011, 06:19 AM
    Agree with AK - how do you file two petitions, each claiming a person is the father?

I've served in Federal prison. You ask permission, go in, hand the papers to the inmate.
    Expert

Oct 8, 2011, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    ... I've served in Federal prison. You ask permission, go in, hand the papers to the inmate.
    After first, I gather, asking to see prisoner such-and-such. And on your return you would state that the prison told you that he or she was the defendant?
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2011, 07:19 AM
    I had to get permission in advance, sign in (indicating which prisoner I was "visiting"), ID Defendant by photo (provided to me), hand over papers. If prisoner hadn't wanted to see me then he would not have been served. It was his choice and I did say I was there to serve papers.

I used the standard Affidavit of Service - knew the person to be X based upon...
    Expert

Oct 8, 2011, 07:35 AM
    ... If prisoner hadn't wanted to see me then he would not have been served. It was his choice and I did say I was there to serve papers. ...
    I suppose the U.S. Marshall option is available in that case.

Oct 8, 2011, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    He might think about getting his case dismissed because she filed two separate petitions.
    I'm going admit ignorance here. If a woman has a child and there are multiple possible fathers, then how does she file? Also what does she file? Does she just file to establish paternity or is she filing for child support? And since she is unsure of the father, does she file one petition naming all possible fathers or separate petitions? Since the first step would be a paternity test, one the result are know then the court dismisses the petition(s) where the test is negative.

It just doesn't seem to me that filing separate petitions in this case is grounds for a dismissal of all petitions.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2011, 08:02 AM
    I'm with Scott - would both Petitions be dismissed? Perhaps the Court would dismiss one and hear the other? And then there's the case of filing both in the first place.

AK, your thoughts?
    Expert

Oct 8, 2011, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I'm going admit ignorance here. If a woman has a child and there are multiple possible fathers, then how does she file? Also what does she file? Does she just file to establish paternity or is she filing for child support? And since she is unsure of the father, does she file one petition naming all possible fathers or separate petitions? Since the first step would be a paternity test, one the result are know then the court dismisses the petition(s) where the test is negative.

It just doesn't seem to me that filing separate petitions in this case is grounds for a dismissal of all petitions.
    I'm with Scott - would both Petitions be dismissed? Perhaps the Court would dismiss one and hear the other? And then there's the case of filing both in the first place.

AK, your thoughts?
    I don't know that she would have standing to just ask for a determination of paternity. She should be asking for child support. In any event, I believe she should have filed one petition against both men, asking for alternative relief. That would be required my the mandatory joiner rules (such as in the FRCP, a model for civil rules used in many states - See Rule 19 in particular).

Of course if one of the men moves that his case be dismissed, it might be wiser for the court to instead order that the cases be combined, and the instant case dismissed only be dismissed if joiner isn't feasible.

Oct 8, 2011, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I don't know that she would have standing to just ask for a determination of paternity. She should be asking for child support.
    I totally agree. Until the OP returns and clarifies what petitions were filed we really don't know. But the original question was about improper service and I don't see any issue there. Unless paternity was awarded by default (i.e. the other potential father came up negative so the inmate was named the legal father because they never submitted a sample) then I don't see the issue. If that did happen, the inmate can submit a sample at this point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get my family law case into Federal Courts? [ 17 Answers ]

I am truly very disappointed in the circuit court's decision after having my hopes in the justice system restored at the last hearing in the County Circuit Courts. I was in hopes that the judge would see through this façade and realize that my ex-wife and her boyfriend are abusing the court...

Grants for Federal Inmates [ 5 Answers ]

I am wondering if anyone has any info to help me, I am currently in search of finding out more on resources (grant money) to help federal inmates start their own business once release from custody. {Moved from Introductions, please pay more attention to posting rules-<>}

Improper service in family law [ 3 Answers ]

What should I do if I have been improperly served as the respondant in a family law case? My friend was handed the papers (not me) and I was not even seen by the server

Vindictive X improper service & paternity [ 3 Answers ]

Two part Question... Part 1. I my X live in girlfriend filed for child support and sent the summons to the address of my wife who I was legally separated from for over 3 years. I summons was handed to my 14 year old son who was simply asked do you know " so and so" (me) of course he does he...

View more questions Search