Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chefwife Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2011, 04:43 PM
    Lien on Back Child Support - House Foreclosed
    Several years ago, the State Attorney Generals office put a lien on my ex husbands house for back child support. I have since learned the house has been foreclosed on and has already been sold. There was very little owed on the house and more than $60,000 in equity in the house. Where do I fall in line, as far as getting paid, and I am wondering how the sale of the house went through with a lien on it ?

I am patiently waiting for Monday to contact the AGO - but would love some feedback in the meantime. I am in the state of Texas.
    Thank you
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2011, 04:46 PM
    Your lien should be among the first few to be satisfied.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 1, 2011, 04:49 PM
    Contact the bank that foreclosed. The foreclosure would not have cancelled the lien unless other liens took precedence.

But housing prices have dropped considerably and there may have been a refinance so there may not have been the amount of equity you think there was.

Oct 3, 2011, 12:34 PM
    After speaking to the AGO in Texas, the answer I received was basically, if the bank did not due their homework, and check on back liens, then I am out of luck. How can that be ? I thought you could not sell a house without checking for clear title or liens on the home?

Does anyone have any suggestions - feedback. Do I have any options?
    Any response will be appreciated. Thank you.

Oct 3, 2011, 12:37 PM
    A house that I had a lien on was foreclosed on an sold.
    The lien was placed by the Attorney General's Office for the back child support, way back in 2002. I just found error by accident the house was sold several months ago. The Child Support office is bascially telling me there is nothing they can do if the Bank did not check for clear title or liens. Anyone offer any suggestions? My ex husband is now homeless, basically indigent. I have no other recourse at this point to collect the back support. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 3, 2011, 12:53 PM
    Please don't start new threads with basically the same question. I've merged your threads for you.

Basically, what the AG's office is telling you is that they don't want to get involved. Its not worth their time to pursue. So you will have to pursue it yourself. This means you will have to sue the bank on your own. The only other alternative is to get the media involved and maybe shame the AG into taking action.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien for Back child support [ 8 Answers ]

My husband and I live in Idaho. He owes back child support in CA (his kids are grown). He has a lien against him. He recently negotiated a pay off with his ex-wife to settle and close the case. He is going to CA next week to pay her and have her close the case at the child support office. We...

What to do with lien on house for child support, wrong house/person? [ 1 Answers ]

We recently found out a lien is on our house for somebody that doesn't live here or that we've heard of, for $8,000 in child support. If we have to get a lawyer to clear this up, who do we go after to get the money back we had to spend on the lawyer? We live in Ontario, Canada

Child Support and Lien on a house [ 4 Answers ]

My wife's ex husband routinely does not pay child support. This is in the state of NH, he is currently several thousand behind, claiming he is out of work but is in fact getting paid under the table. He routinely will miss 4 or 5 weeks, then suddenly pay for 2 weeks in an effort to circumvent the...

My husband owes back child support not me, can my house be on a lien? [ 6 Answers ]

I own a home with my husband and it is under a lien for back child support how can this be done when I don't owe that. IN the txas the IRS lets us claim Injured spouse, Can that be done here too?

Lien - back child support [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My daughters father has a fairly large sum in back child support and is most likely going to lose his house to foreclosure. He had some cement work done, claims he paid for it, but the guy who did the work is suing him and has put a lien on the house. Would it be in my best interest to also...

View more questions Search