Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elainesusn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Parenting , I do not like my 14 year old son's friend.
    I do not like my 14 year old son's friend. What do I do?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Why don't you like this friend of your son? What are some of the things he/she does or behaviors he/she has? Do you think he/she is a bad influence and if so, why?

To forbid your son from seeing his friend is likely to backfire on you. What can you do to influence this friend? Do you think this person can gain some positive skills/behaviors/attitudes from you? Being a role model for him/her. Creating a positive atmosphere when he/she is in your home. You can restrict activiities and allow those you feel are beneficial. You can set limits. You are the parent and can exercise all those rights.

If you strongly feel that this person is so wrong for your son, sit down and talk to your son about it. He is old enough to understand. Explain your feelings and concerns to him. Give him the opportunity to share his also. Sometimes, as parents, we just do not like our children's friends and we have to allow some of the friendship, barring anything illegal or immoral activities. Giving our child the wisdom of our experience and praying that the child makes the best decisions. Giving him some rope but holding onto it at the same time.

Wishing you the very best.
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Feb 4, 2007, 12:38 PM
    That is some AWESOME advice shy. I agree completely.
    Part of growing is making mistakes and my teens have made them.
    If they are smart, they will learn. If they do not you have an indication he will always have problems in his life. If you feel trouble now, wait till he is 18 and can do whatever he wants with or without mommies approval.
    I agree, speak to him about it now. Do not attack him. Just tell him your concerns and see how he response. Years ago my son was getting in trouble. SOmetimes he followed sometimes he lead. We took him to thearphy and found out he was lacking attention from ME, of all people. I cut my hours at work (stopped so much overtime) and spent more time with him. He improved so much and we are good friends now. I still provide him with advice, but do not mandate anything, except curfew. He's 14 so it's midnight on Friday or Saturday. My 17 year has till 1:30.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parenting my 22 year old son [ 6 Answers ]

I have been a single parent for most of my son's life. He is now 22 and graduating from college 7 hours from home. Since he was 13, he shut down completely towards me, however, is friendly to all others around him, including his father, who he is still close to. I have gone through years of his...

Single parenting [ 6 Answers ]

I am a single parent, by choice. The father is not involved, he only brought negativity to our lives. He was abuses drugs and was unfaithful to me. My question is not having a father in my child's life to me is healthier but in the long run do think that it will effect my child in a negative way?

Step Parenting [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am a mother of 4 and am married for the second time. We have been married for 6 years 7 in November. We have already weathered a lot of storms with the children. My oldest is 18 almost 19 and he is out of the house living with my mom. He had a lot of issues and we had to make him move for...

Parenting a 4 and 6 year old [ 20 Answers ]

Maybe this should be in the tips forum, but I'll post it here first... My husband's brother and sister-in-law died in an accident and we are adopting their 2 children, ages 4 and 6. I am also pregnant with my first child. I know the children well and I really love them, but I'm worried about...

Which forms should my friend fill out for tax year 2005? [ 5 Answers ]

TaxExpert, We are in NYC. My friend worked under OPT for about 6 months in 2005 and then under H1B status. Other than 1040 and New York State income tax return, which form should she file? Thank you!

View more questions Search