Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimberly600 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Child support after 18 in CT
    I have 4 children. My oldest is actually 18 now but finishes high school in June. His Dad has already announced to me that his child support will end in June, as per our divorce agreement. However, my son will be attending community college in September for at least a year or two, and living with me. In our agreement, the Dad and I are to share college expenses on a pro-rated basis to the extent that we are able. That is, he makes 3 times the salary I do, therefore he would pay 2/3 and I would pay one third of his college expenses.
    I still feel we are entitled to some child support for this child, and God knows I need it to. My son does not at this point have a job, but hopefully will in the summer.
    Thanks
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2007, 06:54 AM
    When a child reaches the age of 18, a parent is not legally obligated to support that child anymore. However, the law allows us to continue to use that child as a write off on our tax returns until they are 21 (I believe) while they continue with their education.

You wrote: In our agreement, the Dad and I are to share college expenses on a pro-rated basis to the extent that we are able. That is, he makes 3 times the salary I do, therefore he would pay 2/3 and I would pay one third of his college expenses.

The divorce agreement is a legal document that overrides our personal decision to cut off all expenses. Whatever is outlined in your divorce agreement is what your ex must abide by.

If you are looking for the standard child support until the child reaches the age of 18, that your ex has been giving to you for your son, and the agreement does not include that or extend it outside of what you have outlined here, you are out of luck if he chooses to suspend that basic support when your son turns 18.

Please read through your divorce agreement very carefully. College expenses is a very vague term. One can interpret that as ALL his expenses while he is in college.

My suggestion would be to contact either your divorce attorney or an attorney of your choosing if your ex is only willing to pay for a part of tuition and nothing else. Maybe he/she will be able to handle this without causing additional friction.

Hope this helps.
    kimberly600 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 07:01 AM
    [QUOTE=RubyPitbull]When a child reaches the age of 18, a parent is not legally obligated to support that child anymore. However, the law allows us to continue to use that child as a write off on our tax returns until they are 21 (I believe) while they continue with their education.

Thank you Ruby -

Only my ex uses the 4 children as a write off. That was part of our trade-off... I got the house.
    I will read the agreement carefully and consult with my attorney. I would expect that he would pay at least a portion of the child support for his living expenses while he is still in my home, and not away at college as we all planned.

Thank you again.
    Kim
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Kim, you are most welcome!

You wrote: Only my ex uses the 4 children as a write off. That was part of our trade-off...I got the house.

I pretty much figured that. Just from the bit you told me, he sounds like a shrewd businessman to take have used the agreement to literally stop paying child support as soon as your son turns 18. Not a good way for a father to build a loving relationship with his son. I suspect he is not interested in that and I figured that he is going to be difficult in trying to get him to help with additional monies. If your son will be living at home, it will be even more difficult. Yes, please consult with your attorney. You need to have someone else step in and make it appear as a legal obligation rather than a moral one. The less discussion directly between you and your ex is for the best. As I said, minimize the friction. Be matter of fact about it. Don't allow him to make this an argument between the two of you. Rise above that and make it as a moral obligation to help his son get a good start in life so he can support himself properly as an adult. He can't argue with logic.

Good luck honey! :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberly600
    I still feel we are entitled to some child support for this child, and God knows I need it to. Thanks
    Ruby gave you good advice, but I wanted to comment on the above statement. You can "feel" anything you want. You can think you are "entitled" to a lot. But the fact is that you are only entitled to what your divorce agreement says you are entitled to. When you divorced, you negotiated an agreement. That agreement is binding on you. If you want to petition a judge for an amendment to that agreement, you have to take him back to court, but I doubt if you win.

If your ex balks at paying living expenses, you can remind him that he would be responsible for a lot more if your son had gone away to college.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2007, 08:18 AM
    And of course you can still file to have the support agreement admended to be more specific on the college. The phase that worried me is the "as we are able" since he could have course claim with all of his other debts he is not able, and back to court you go.
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Very good points brought out by ScottGem and Fr Chuck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Child Support and Child Custody [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering If child support and child custody are the same. I have a six year old daughter and I want to see her badly but her mother is holding child support over my head. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I have given her money on many occasions and for a year consitantly. Yet she refuses to...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

Child support [ 4 Answers ]

If my fiancé's ex goes to court and changes his son's last name to one other than his is he obligated to pay child support?

View more questions Search