Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awr74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2011, 12:41 PM
    Can my son be the father?
    My son is 19 and had protected sex on August 30th just that time. She has a positive pregnancy test hcg levels 47730. She also said she had a abdominal ultra sound and saw heart beating. Is he a candidate?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2011, 12:57 PM
    Did the doctor say what she saw was a "heart beating" she may have seen what appeared to be.

First of course no form of protection is 100 percent, if his protection was just a condom they have a failure rate of 3 to 10 percent by some experts, and up to 20 percent failure quoted by other experts.

So if there is doubt, he will need to wait till the baby is born and require a DNA test.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2011, 12:58 PM
    All it takes is one time. Protected only makes it less likely, not impossible. A DNA test after its birth will prove he is or if its someone else's. I suggest getting it as soon as its possible. There have been many cases of the wrong guy being fingered as the father. You can't argue with DNA results. Not much anyway.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 27, 2011, 01:09 PM
    Assuming you mean 30 August 2011 and she's seen a heart beat then NO way is your son the father.
    After all if he was the "baby" would not even be a month old and you cannot detect a heart beat at that stage.
    Typically this cannot be heard with even a Doppler until the 9-10th week of pregnancy at the earliest, sometimes not until the 12-14th weeks of pregnancy.
    Source: Fetal Heart Beat
    So all told the father is some one else.
    awr74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2011, 01:31 PM
    Yes, the doctor said and showed the heart beating. In the last little few minutes she told him her primary doctor said the end of may 2012. I have checked on dna info and blood work can be done at 11 weeks. But its not adding up in my mind. She is 20 so also an adult. All I know is aug 30th 2011 was the date he was with her.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 27, 2011, 01:34 PM
    Sounds to me like someone isn't telling the entire truth here.
    At a little over THREE weeks you wouldn't really even be classed as pregnant and certainly wouldn't see/hear the heart beat.
    Ultrasound tests are not normally effective until after 12 weeks ( 3 months)!
    So the due date is a fantasy as well, more likely March 2012 rather than May assuming is is indeed pregnant..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2011, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by awr74 View Post
    i have checked on dna info and blood work can be done at 11 weeks.
    While it may be possible to determine paternity at that point it ain't going to happen. No doctor will do that just to determine paternity. No court will force it.

So your son waits until the child is born to have a test done.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2011, 08:07 PM
    Agree with Scott, no DNA test will be done till the child is born, there is too much danger in doing the early tests before births.

So it is really a wait and see till child is born
    Thai2011 Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Oct 10, 2011, 11:38 AM
    First of all the fetus has an heart beat within the first week of conseption... I have three children. How do you know he had protected sex, was you there for the whole sexual act monitoring? I have a 20 year old son myself, and they do lie.

How about this, wait for the child to be born and get a paternity test. Don't waste your time taking sides and possible find out that it is your grandchild. If it comes out not to be your grandchild, then give your son a good scare and a lecture on how you don't want to be involved in this kind of mess again or he will be on his own. If if comes out to be your grandchild, hopfully you have made yourselfe looks so bad that you can be involved in your grandchild's life and make your son know that he has to be a responsible man.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The father of my son passed away and my new husband wants to adopt my son? [ 1 Answers ]

My son's father passed way almost two years ago. I just remarried and my new husband wants to adopt my son. My new husband has been taking care of my son like his own for a year now and my son just adores him and all ready calls him "Dad". We live in Illinois and just wanted to know where we...

Can I get custody of son if father leaves state and son stays here [ 20 Answers ]

My ex has residential custody of my 8 yeair old son. He is leaving to Texas in a few days. Ex put in a relocation and I am doing a objection. My ex is leaving my son here while he goes ahead and moves to see what the court decides. When ex leaves can I go to the courts and files a temp custody ?

I'm the biological father and want to be the legal father of my son [ 24 Answers ]

Hi,I just found out that I am the biological father of my 2 yr. old son through DNA testing.my son's legal father right now is his mother's ex live in partner.he just found out too that he's not the real father of my son.my son and the mom and the legal father is in New Jersey right now and I just...

View more questions Search