Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AussieBuff Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2011, 05:43 PM
    Range gas pipeline
    I just purchased a new Electrolux range that has a bottom recess for the gas line. The previous GE stove was hooked to this same gas line. Now the problem, the new range recess is lower than the old range recess toward the floor. The gas line comes down from the attic to 17" off the floor. The recess is only 15 1/2 inches off the floor. Can the wall be opened and the gas line extended downward a few more inches so it will be in the new recess? Thanks fro SOCAL!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 26, 2011, 06:26 PM
    What type of pipe are you working with? With most materials you can just add a stub to make up the dif.

Sep 26, 2011, 06:59 PM
    Typical cast iron I believe, maybe 1" pipe? It has a 90 degree inside the wall I am sure, then a small stub through the drywall, then another 90 degree piece. At this point is where the cut-off valve is located. I more or less figured a good plumber would be able to extend the pipe, I just wasn't sure if it was safe as it gives two more points for a leak, especially after the wall is covered with drywall again. It is too bad that the gas line wasn't lowered closer to the floor. I just don't want the range sticking out away from the wall a few inches; it doesn't look professional.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 26, 2011, 07:13 PM
    Hi Aussie,

You mean, typical black MALLEABLE iron... ;) Black malleable bends... black cast iron cracks... A BAD THING FOR GAS!

It should be an easy extend for a plumber. A few elbows and a coupling are no issue.

More important, in fact, will be the ANTI.-TIP DEVICE. Please install this device... saves lives!

Mark

Sep 26, 2011, 07:23 PM
    Thank you sir! The anti tip device was still in place from the last range so the installers didn't change it out. I have service technicians coming out tomorrow as it won't light. The oven only warms to about 200F after 1/2 hour. I am thinking a regulator problem. As soon as they fix that, then I will get a plumber in to extend the gas line so it will be in the recess area, not touching the back of the range.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 26, 2011, 07:43 PM
    Good news... should be straight forward!

Good night!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Can We Omit The Heater Unit From City Gate Station in Gas Pipeline? [ 0 Answers ]

Each City Gate station In Gas Pipeline Has heater Unit .Can We Omit it?

Can you convert a gas range over to an electric range? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! We just brought a started house and it is electric through out except for the cooking stove or range is gas. The problem is that it's causing our utility bill to run more that the house payments. I wanted to know if there is a way to switch from a gas range to an electric range. And if...

Can I switch from electric range to gas range [ 5 Answers ]

I have an electric range but I need to buy a new one. I heard that cooking on a gas range is so much better. My husband pulled the range away from the wall and there is a little pipe sticking out of the wall. Is that for a gas stove? Thank you!

Changing from a gas range to an electric smooth top range [ 1 Answers ]

What are the requirement for switching from cooking with a gas stove to cooking with and electric stove

View more questions Search