Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    compiler Posts: 91, Reputation: -1

Sep 26, 2011, 11:56 AM
    Why is a new battery easily dead if the car is not run for a week?
    When a car is new, there is no problem to start the engine if the car was not run for a week. After the car runs about 40,000 miles, the engine could not be started if the car was parked for a week until it was jumped up. I was unable to recharge the batter before jump up. The dealer tested the battery and said it was good. I told the dealer the battery was good because it had already been jumped up at home and it was recharged by driving to your location. So, you saw the battery was good. Then the dealer replaced the battery with a new one under the warranty.

After a half year, I got the same problem. I am unable to start the engine if the car was not run for a week unless it was jumped up. Of course, the engine can be started if I keep driving the car such as every 3 days instead of one week. So, I have questions.

Why can a new car engine be run even if the vehicle was not run for a week? Why the battery was easy to be dead completely when the car becomes old even the battery is new? The battery should have no problems because it has been replaced for only a half year. The problem is if the car was not run for a week, then I am unable to start the engine unless jump it up. Please note there was no such a problem when the vehicle was new. I usually dive my car once a week. Is it normal for such a problem when the car becomes old or there is something wrong?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2011, 12:58 PM
    The age of a vehicle usually doesn't affect the battery, it is the battery age. However, it would appear you have a slow current drain in one of the power systems. You will need to find what circuit, a shorted wire for example, is causing the drain. You may have a light on under the hood or in the trunk. You will need to do a little detective work with a 12 Volt tester. With everything off, including the key, see if any of the fuses or breakers are allowing a current flow. Sometimes, the starter lead wears thin and allows a small current to flow to the frame. Look for anything with a frayed or burned wire.
    compiler Posts: 91, Reputation: -1

Sep 26, 2011, 02:45 PM
    If the problem is due to a slow current drain in one of the power systems, how to explain why there is no problem to start the engine if a battery is new and even if the vehicle is not run for a week. Does the slow current drain not happen to the new but only old battery?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2011, 05:03 PM
    It happens to both batteries but the new battery holds the charge better. That's why you can drive the car every week and it keeps the battery charged.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2011, 06:50 PM
    Besides a low drain, you may have an Alternator just not wanting to put out full charging voltage?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car radio won't work as a result of dead battery [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2004 ford escape I let the battery die, and now the radio has no power

House run on car battery [ 9 Answers ]

Can a house run on a dry car battery and for how long, house meaning the refrigerators, lights and all other house hold appliances

Is my car battery dead [ 2 Answers ]

My car just stated dying out then it cut off completely 5mins later. I tried to get a jump but, that did'nt work either.:confused:

Is my car battery dead [ 2 Answers ]

My battery light has been on for a day now . Well my car just stopped in the middle of the road now I know the obvious answer would be the battery went dead, but I thought if your car was started already then your car wouldn't cut off do anyone know if this could be the battery or maybe my...

Instructions Needed On How To Properly Use Booster Cables For Dead Car Battery [ 3 Answers ]

HELP! I am embarressed to say, that I DO NOT know how to use my Booster Cables to boost a dead battery in my car. :( I have in the past been nervous of getting an electric shock! That was then, and now I no longer want to be IGNORANT! :D Can someone please tell me, with very EASY SIMPLE...

View more questions Search