Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hunnybee_420 Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2011, 01:53 PM
    Exposed Wood Foundation, What to do, WHO to call.
    I posted this message a few weeks back but really didn't get the answer I was looking for as I think I over talked and people were confused. Not to mention a week went by before I realized the notice that my question had been answered was going into my junk mail folder.

OK! I just bought this house two years ago and am very slowly learning the most basic of things I should already know. On the side of my house running along the driveway is a section of exposed WOOD foundation (pics to follow) I don't know if it's supposed to be this way but it seems to me the siding should have extended down further or what? It is very bad this is exposed? Should I be losing sleep over it?

It appears it was once sealed with caulk, at least where it meets the underground. And maybe that is wood that is not part of the foundation, rather support for the driveway when it was poured and that is actually the wood that is not in the best condition.

I am sorry for not taking previous answers and posting again but this has the potential to be the kind of project that could break me if left unattended and if there is something simple I can do now to prevent it, I would be very grateful.

My main 3 questions are:

• Is this a huge problem that I should be losing sleep over, or normal?
    • What could *I do to fix it?
    • OR Who can I call to *PAY to fix it?

~ I guess I have a handy man coming by to look at it in a bit so that will give me some piece of mind... But still always searching for answers
    Attached Images

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 23, 2011, 02:59 PM
    Yes, you really did get a lot of answers regarding this problem; maybe you didn't really get any incite into your particular problem, and is not resolved. Maybe because we can't SEE the problem. I suggest you hire someone who can actually tell you what to do, get guotes from contractors because you on here explaining your problem is not going anywhere.

There are many threads about this, this is one of them:

www.diy-plumbing-and-drain.com/french-drain

Tick
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Sep 24, 2011, 02:37 AM
    It does look like framing for the concrete that was poured. If you can remove the wood that is there and replace with expansion gap material that would be great.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100318479/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100318479/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 24, 2011, 05:02 AM
    Do you have a basement or a crawl space, or is house built on a slab?
    Can you show pictures other sides of house. Right now I would guess you have crawl space with post and beam foundation.
    Would also guess that someone enclosed the crawl space with wood in order to pour driveway or pad. The wood in the close up looks like plywood. That would mean that it is not structural part of the foundation but was not a good idea. Usually a masonry product would be used.

The caulking indicates some kind of drainage or water problem. However, it may only be someone's attempt to prevent problems.

If you have a crawl space, you will probably have to crawl up under the house to see if the wood in contact with the earth and the concrete is indeed just plywood enclosing the crawl space or if it is a structural part of the foundation.

If it is just plywood enclosing the crawl space, I would seal the crack between the concrete and the wall. Seal it well. Assuming that it is treated plywood it could last quite a number of years. How long it will last depends a lot on the climate in your area and how much rain you get.

Replacement will require cutting out a strip of concrete.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Sep 25, 2011, 01:32 PM
    Is the driveway poured on an incline? If is is then that is why you are seeing the board the way you do. I still think it was put there as an expansion gap/form when the driveway was poured and there concrete behind it.Is this a slab foundation without a basement?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do wood boring beetles leave round damaged holes in your attic wood beams? [ 1 Answers ]

I have infestations of various insects in my all wood frame house. I'm trying to figure the different types of damaged wood. I'm familiar with the drywood and subterranean termite wood damage but not the actual wood damage of beetles. Do you have any home remedies for any of the above?

Do wood boring beetles leave round damaged holes in your attic wood beams? [ 0 Answers ]

I have infestations of various insects in my all wood frame house. I'm trying to figure the different types of damaged wood. I'm familiar with the drywood and subterranean termite wood damage but not the actual wood damage of beetles. Do you have any home remedies for any of the above?

How to install wood fencing panels using existing wood fence posts [ 1 Answers ]

Posts are set at same distance required for panels

Does My Slab House Have Foundation Issues? What To Do? Who To Call? [ 11 Answers ]

I'm not sure if I am giving you TMI, or if these issues are related or not. I want to thank you in advance in taking the time to read this novel ;o). I'll try my best to describe my concerns, but I am not too familiar with the lingo so, please be patient. We have a slab house that is a little...

Replacing rotten wood floor foundation [ 16 Answers ]

We have an old cabin which we need to repair. Under existing bylaws we would not be able to replace this cabin in its existing waterfront location so repair is the only option. Originally the cabin sat 1 foot above ground on cement pads. Over the years the cabin sunk into the ground which has...

View more questions Search