Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Sep 18, 2011, 10:34 AM
    240V wire color
    Two interrelated questions:

My stationary air compressor will be hard wired and runs on STRAIGHT 240V-ie two hots only. Since the two hots are connected to a double pole breaker, can both wires be the same color or need to be different(red & black)?

Same question for my welder, though this will still use a plug/outlet. The outlet is a NEMA 6-50R. Thanks...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2011, 10:58 AM
    You can use 2 blacks, 2 reds, black and red, and see no reason you couldn't use 2 blues, yellows, browns, or any mix of the above colors, anything but White, Gray, Green or Bare.

Sep 18, 2011, 11:57 AM
    Strat,

That's what I kind of logically figured-though logic isn't always correct. Thanks.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2011, 01:26 PM
    For straight 240V you can pull 2 conductor romex and use black and white. Use a magic marker and color the white at the breaker and outlet to black. This is similar to what you do with a switch loop.

Sep 18, 2011, 04:31 PM
    ma0641,

Good advice & romex would be easy, but my area requires conduit. Even though I'm not pulling a permit, I like stay in local code. Besides, I paid for these conduit benders and I'm going to use them :)...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2011, 05:15 PM
    Since you will be in conduit, use a red and a black. That way, you know what breaker the wire is connected to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring 240v 3-wire Spa [ 2 Answers ]

I recently hooked up the wiring to a 240v 3-wire spa and I am concerned about the size of the ground wire on the supply line inside the basement from the main panel box to the outside disconnect. This cable is NM-B-6/3-W/G and is protected by a 50 amp breaker in the panel. The disconnect is 60amp...

How do I wire a 4 pole 240v plug to a 3 pole 240v receptacle? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a generac generator with a 4 pole twist-lock 230v receptacle. I need to plug in my 230v 3 pole arc welder. Can I just clip the white wire?

Connecting 240V 3 wire to 240V 4 wire [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a new Electric Counter Top Stove. The New stove has only 3 wires to connect (Red, Black, and Ground). My old stove have 4 wires (Red, Black, White, and ground). What do I do with the White Wire that is coming from my Electrical Box. This is what the install manual says. You must...

240V Wire Color/Connector mapping [ 1 Answers ]

In a 240V circuit, the red and black are the 2 hot wires. When connecting these 2 wires to a receptacle or plug, does it matter which wire go to which of the 2 hot prongs? I have a Hubbel NEMA 14-30P... the 2 hot prongs is label XXX & YYY. Does the Red go to XXX and Black go to YYY? Does it...

View more questions Search