Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommy67812 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2011, 03:04 PM
    Dwarf hamsters
    I'm not sure what "type" of dwarf hamsters we have... we purchased 2 from the pet store, out of the same cage. Upon birngin them home, I noticed (what now I know is the male), laying ontop of the female (she is on her back, mouth open, squeeling) and all the male is appearing to do is sitting there? Afterwards, both are cleaning their private parts. Watching them for a little while, I figured out they would smell and rub against each other just before this would occur... are they mating or are they fighting? I'm new to all this hamster thing... The pet store couldn't tell if they were male or female, but after reasearching I have determined one male and one female.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2011, 03:46 PM
    I am not sure what type of pet store you got them from, in the US, all of the major chains work hard at not having them mixed together. In fact some of the chain stores do not have them of the same sex even in the same store.

Here is mating info about them.

Breeding hamsters - how to breed hamsters

How do I know when my female hamster is ready to breed i.e. in season?

Given that they will go into season once every 4 days, if you get it wrong the first time, there's always the next time. Generally, the female hamster will emit a musky odor just before she comes into season and inevitably, it's always around evening time that the 'oestrus period' (time when she's fertile and accepting of the male) starts and it lasts for anywhere between 4 and 18 hours. It is during this 'window of opportunity' that she will be receptive to the male so breeding them has to take place then. After the female hamsters finish their season, there is a thick white mucous discharge that is excreted from their vaginas. Less experienced hamster breeders will then take that as a starting point, count another 3 days after that and then try for a breeding encounter (anticipating the next oestrous cycle 4 days later). If the weather is cool (ie winter), most hamsters will not breed. The other tell-tale sign that she is in season is that when you stroke her back towards her tail, she will freeze on the spot, flatten out and lift her tail.

The hamster breeding protocol

Okay, you've established that the female hamster is ready for breeding, what now? You have 2 choices - you can put her in the male's cage or take them both out and put them in a separate breeding box (neutral territory). Wear protective gloves, have an object ready to separate them if any fighting ensues - they often aren't very selective about who they nip and will nip you in your efforts to separate them if they choose not to breed. If you've picked the right time, the female will 'freeze' with her tail in the air and allow the male hamster to mate with her a few times. Keep them together for anywhere between 15 minutes to an hour - when they start to lose interest in the mating ritual, then it's time to separate them. Virgin males can be a bit confused initially and may turn the female hamster off by mounting her from all directions but they will soon learn 'on the job'. Breeding is generally more successful when both male and female hamsters have had previous mating encounters.
    mommy67812 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2011, 05:43 PM
    I got them from PetSupermarket, they had ONE ben in the center of the store.. I'm currently in Florida... Out West where I grew up most of my life, I had rats, and they ALWAYS had males/females separated... it was strange to see all these hamsters into one LARGE tank! I asked for two females (more likely to get along I've heard)... and the guy said just pick two, they coulnd't tell male from females because they were so small! I did the BEST that I could, but like I said after my research, one was male, one female... one is almost a pure white with a FAINT smokey color on the top of head only (male) with red eyes and the other (female) is a bit smaller and is white with a smokey grey head and stripe all the way down her back... this is the one I find laying flat on her back... (Winter White? )My sister=in=law brought one to my son a few days prior, which I have identified as FEMALE as well... but this one is like a brown all over... from what I can find lol a mix between a chinese and a roborovski (sorry, can't really tell, she is also slightly larger then the other two not much though... VERY well tempered! )This one is a sweetheart!! Very good with the children (5,4,2, AND 1! ) she has NOT bit even with food smells on their hands (although of course I get onto them) and my 1 y/o picking her up by her side (the hair)... I have NEVER known a hamster to be this well tempered.. the other two we just got are "skitish" but I'm guessing that will go away as we have only had them 3 days.
    Thank you for the information, I will go there and do some research... the two white ones lay by each other, curl up next to each other... so I know they get along, but this is puzzling to me this other behavior... hmmm.. they aren't "hurting" each other as there is NEVER any "blood"... I did notice a little bit ago after I wrote that afterwards, the female cleans herself has some "wet" marks there??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2011, 05:49 PM
    I had to males and they lived together fairly well , they were dwarf. They did fight, but not to seriously harm each other but to prove who was the head hamster and to show who has what area or space.
    Monkeybussiness Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Sep 13, 2011, 08:01 PM
    They are probably mating.. :/ I would try to separate them as soon as possible. I think with most animals besides fish and birds and some mammals mating is an event not some quick, secret thing like we think.
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Nov 2, 2011, 05:18 AM
    You could look online with how to determine the sexes yourself, to know what to do next.

They may just be playing. Mine, on the other hand, two girls, were not. I mistook the fighting for playing, now I've had to separate them.

X Dani

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two dwarf hamsters died same day [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I had two lovely dwarf hamsters until this morning. When we woke up we found both dead and one had eaten the other. They where both fine and running around last night before we went to bed, Can anybody let us now what happened?

Two dwarf hamsters have died 6 months old separate cages separate rooms [ 4 Answers ]

I have tonight found my two white dwarf hamsters dead in their cages. They are in separate cages in separate rooms.I have only had them 6 months - I had to separate them after about a month as they were fighting. They were in large plastic rotastak cages - loads of room each - in separate rooms...

My hamsters are fighting... Help [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, so I bought two supposedly female hamsters from pets at home last week, they were getting along fine until a few days ago when they started fighting. The smaller one seemed to chase the big one quite a lot and wouldn't let her in the house along with her. Today when I came home I noticed the...

What is on my hamsters lip. [ 5 Answers ]

So, my hamster, Cheerio, I've had for awhile. He is a dwarf hamster. I noticed this little thing on his lip one day. I didn't think much of it. Then I looked at it the next day and it look like a tooth at first, but it was attatched to his lip. It looks kind of like wood or bark. It's light brown...

How to breed hamsters [ 2 Answers ]

OK I got a male hamster and I had another male with him before but the other male was to aggressive so I separated them ad sold the aggressive male so I was planing on getting a female to breed with him. I know people who will buy the babes and my friend owns a pet store so I could sell them to...

View more questions Search