Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morningside Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 02:30 PM
    H-1B - other tax questions
    Further to other recent correspondence on this matter. I have been employed in the US since February 2006 on an H-1B visa. My former employer in the UK asked me to continue assisting on a consultancy basis in the winding up of a few outstanding issues with my work. They paid me $20,000 in four instalments during 2006 as a fee for this. The issues are now all resolved and there will be no further payments

I am now declaring this on my tax filing and I wonder if perhaps I should not have accepted these payments under H-1B status? What action would you recommend?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2007, 11:00 PM
    You should file a dual-status return.

That way, you can legitimately exclude the $20,000 from the Form 1040 portion of the return, as that income is NOT U.S.-sourced and therefore NOT subject to U.S. taxation.

You WILL have to report the income, on the Form 1040NR portion of the return, but it will NOT be taxed, so technically, you have not violated your H-1B visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Questions - First timer here [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Expert and other members of this forum. This is my first post in this forum and I need help with some Tax questions. Background Indian citizen Worked on F1/OPT for company X in Virginia - Feb 14 2005 - April 20, 2005 Worked on F1/OPT for company Y in California - May 2 2005 - Sep...

Tax questions [ 1 Answers ]

1. I was still a non-resident in tax year of 2005, but my wife changed her status to resident (because she has been here in the US for 5 years since Aug.05) Can we file Joint Return? Somebody told me only citizen or permanent resident can file joint return with their spouses. 2. My wife has been...

Interesting tax questions... [ 8 Answers ]

Hello. I have been looking for some answers on this site for some of the questions that I have, but I have not been able to find them. Hopefully someone out there can help me out... We just closed an estate. My wife and I were beneficiaries. After 20 months, we finally got the estate settled. I...

Many Questions related to H1 - Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Tax Experts, I have many un answered questions. Any help by answering them is highly appreciated. 1) I am full time for a consulting company A (I get 5 day leave, 5 sick leave and paid for US holidays only 6 days, and 50% of the medical benefits for family ). And this...

View more questions Search