Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wdrbbq Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2011, 01:41 PM
    Convertible Top Replacement
    I have a 1994 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible which still has its original top. It has developed leaks and a few tears however over the years. I'm thinking of having it replaced but I have one concern. The last time I had the top down, it went down OK but on the way back up it hung up a little on the right side for a second or two and then closed, but the right side took considerably more effort to close even with the hook latch unscrewed as much as possible. This one or two second hesitation has deterred me from putting the top down ever since. I believe it may need lubrication or perhaps some work on the frame, or truss, upon which the top is mounted. Here's my question: Am I correct in assuming that the convertible top installer will address frame issues when he installs the top or do I have to take it to someone else first? If I have to take it to someone else first I fear that it may freeze up when demonstrating what the problem is in the course of obtaining an estimate for the work, in a partially raised position, making the car undrivable.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2011, 02:02 PM
    Call the shop where you intend taking your car and quiz them about if they repair the frame or not. They probbaly do this service if they replace tops.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2011, 05:33 PM
    Some of your issues may be because the top has shrunk. That's why you have tears. Do the hydraulics work OK?
    wdrbbq Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2011, 10:49 AM
    If you mean the convertible top motor when you refer to "hydraulics" the answer is yes. The entire system works fine with the exception of that momentary hang up I mentioned previously and that only happened once because after that I was scared straight. I haven't tried it again. However, even through the momentary hang up the motor remained strong and pulled as hard as ever in the effort to close. The top has definitely shrunk a little. Over the years I've had to back the threaded hooks off to allow more adjustability once or twice.
    I guess my concern centers around showing someone what is wrong for estimate purposes and getting the top stuck partially up in the process and not being able to drive it home. That's why I was hoping to get it done at the time of top replacement by the guy who's going to replace it so it could all be addressed at once without having to worry about it freezing partially up and the subsequent tow and loss of use of the vehicle. I guess, if he'll do the work on the frame, the only solution is to give him carte blanche and hope he's reputable in lieu of having to show him in advance and risking the potential problem before the work is even scheduled. If I explain that it has worked fine for the four years I've owned the vehicle and that the momentary hang up is the only problem I've had perhaps I can get a ballpark estimate. I'm leery of giving someone a blank check. I know absolutely nothing about what it should cost to repair such things. It could be anywhere from relatively inexpensive to astronomical. Thanks for the input guys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to change a 96 sebring convertible top ? [ 0 Answers ]

Does anyone have any suggestion on changing a 96 sebring convertible top ?

Replacement top rails [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 18' above ground pool with aluminum siding. I need the top rail replacement parts and can't seem to find them anywhere. Can anyone help?

1993 ford mustang with a red convertible top [ 6 Answers ]

I have a mustang with a red convertible top and I'm wanting to know where are they and how many did they make?

Tear in my Convertible top [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can have my Mazda Miata convertible top repaired in the Phoenix area? It has a small 2" tear in it and I don't want it to get any worse.

View more questions Search