Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chained Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2011, 06:18 AM
    Can my ex wife move our kids from the UK to France and what about my visitation right
    Hello.

I am divorced with two children ages 4 and 7. We are all UK citizens.
    For the last few months I was forced to relocate to Norway due to work related obligations but I have been travelling back to the UK once a month to visit my kids for 3-4 days at a time.

Recently, my ex wife met someone from France and has announced that she will be taking the kids and move to France by the end of the year. Although we have good relations, she made subtly clear that the visiting situation will change. I am very worried that I will not be able to see my kids as much as I would like to.

Can I stop her?

If I cannot stop her what should I do to secure my visitation rights as a father?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 2, 2011, 06:46 AM
    Is there any kind of court order visitation rights in place that states what you have already mentioned as your proper visitation? If there is a court ordered visitation schedule, no, she can't just up and move the children to another permanent location and change the visitation schedule. A court must decide this.

Tick
    Chained Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2011, 07:00 AM
    Hello and thank you for your answer.

No, there is no court order determining my visitation schedule.
    Because our divorce was amicable, we decided to work things out between us.
    Having said that, I have been visiting the children every month for periods, they have also come and visited here in twice for two weeks at a time, both times accompanied by their mother. I have paid all their expenses and hers, too.

I do not know how to proceed with this...

Best Regards

Chained
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 2, 2011, 07:16 AM
    In the US and Canada there are Visitation Rights Lawyers or Attorneys, Chained. May be called differently in the UK. Its great your divorce was amicable, but it is in the best interests of your children to have a legal structured visitation arrangement set up. It also makes a big difference if she plans on re-marrying in the near future and living on the continent.

I hope this gives you a direction.

Tick
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 2, 2011, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained View Post
    No, there is no court order determining my visitation schedule.
    Due to the fact that our divorce was amicable, we decided to work things out between us.
    Obviously that only went as far as it suited her. And you made a big mistake by doing it.

Contact a solicitor ASAP and get a visitation schedule set by a court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my ex wife move with the kids outside of the community? [ 32 Answers ]

My wife and I are currently going through a divorce. She currently lives in the apartment with our 3 kids, and I'm currently paying child support. She is not paying for the rent for the apartment and we both have signed the lease for the apartment. If rent is not paid for the apartment she will...

View more questions Search